Marietta in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Federal, Confederate Lines, June 22, 27, 1864.
The John Ward Road -- left turn at the fork -- leads to Thomas’ Headquarters, June 27, & the battlefield of Kolb’s Farm, on & near Powder Springs road, 2.5 mi. S., where Hood [CS] attacked the right of the 20th & the left of the 23d Corps [US], June 22.
The road W. leads to Dallas & New Hope Ch., in Paulding County, where Federal & Confederate forces were in daily conflict 10 days.
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 033-56.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 56.696′ N, 84° 36.327′ W. Marker is in Marietta, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker is at the intersection of John Ward Road and Dallas Highway (Georgia Route 120), on the left when traveling north on John Ward Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Marietta GA 30064, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cheatham Hill (within shouting distance of this marker); Interlocking Defenses Texas Memorial (approx. half a mile away); A Humanitarian Act (approx. half a mile away); Climax at Cheatham Hill (approx. 0.8 miles away); Field Fortifications (approx. 0.8 miles away); Camouflaged Cannons (approx. 0.8 miles away); McCook's Brigade (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Marietta.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 758 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.