Sidney in Shelby County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Carey's Hall was completed in 1854 by local contractor John W. Carey. Carey's Hall was given as first prize in the Monumental Building lottery in the early 1870s. It housed many businesses over the years. John W. Carey constructed the Shelby County Jail, helped build Sidney's first railroad and also laid out the Village of Anna, naming it after his daughter. Note his admonition on the west wall: “Post no bills here.”
Erected 2008 by Sidney County Historical Society, Sidney Visitors Bureau and Embarq.
Location. 40° 17.148′ N, 84° 9.391′ W. Marker is in Sidney, Ohio, in Shelby County. Marker is at the intersection of Ohio Avenue (Ohio Route 29/47) and Poplar Street, on the left when traveling south on Ohio Avenue. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 102 E. Poplar Street, Sidney OH 45365, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. German American Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); Shelby County Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Sidney and Shelby County Millenium Monument (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); George Washington Bicentennial Shelby County Operation Desert Storm Memorial (about 400 feet away); Theodore Roosevelt / William Howard Taft (about 400 feet away); Shelby County Korean Conflict / Vietnam War Memorial (about 400 feet away); The Shelby County Courthouse (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Sidney.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 546 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.