Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sutter Creek in Amador County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Brignoli Building

1858

 
 
Brignoli Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 9, 2010
1. Brignoli Building Marker
Inscription. Built of native greenstone by Bartolomeo Brignole for a general store. Operated by his family until 1944.
 
Erected 1969 by Amapola Parlor No. 80 Native Daughters of the Golden West.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
 
Location. 38° 23.61′ N, 120° 48.186′ W. Marker is in Sutter Creek, California, in Amador County. Marker is on Main Street (Old Highway 49) south of Randolph Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 71 Main Street, Sutter Creek CA 95685, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sutter Creek (a few steps from this marker); Levaggi Opera House (a few steps from this marker); Native Sons Hall (a few steps from this marker); Bellotti Inn (within shouting distance of this marker); Sutter Creek Sanitarium (within shouting distance of this marker); William Barker Hubbell (within shouting distance of this marker); Robert Carlton Downs (within shouting distance of this marker); J. Monteverde General Store Museum (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Click for a list of all markers in Sutter Creek.
 
Regarding Brignoli Building.
Brignoli Building and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 9, 2010
2. Brignoli Building and Marker
The marker is viewable above the bench in this photo.
The Brignole Buildings are Stop #18 and #18a on the Sutter Creek Walking Tour Brochure available at the Sutter Creek Visitor Center and Museum. The brochure states that the marker errs in its information. Brignole may have built both buildings, but neither in 1858. Brignole bought out countryman Bartolomeo Molinari by 1863 and established his first store next to this site (Now part of the Sutter Creek Inn). In 1866 he bought the two adjoining lots from Wildman and built the stone building. Both buildings were damaged in the 1888 fire.
 
Also see . . .
1. The Brignole Building. This building is No. 18 on the Sutter Creek On-line Walking Tour. The building was built in sections and was extensively repaired after the fire of 1888. (Submitted on April 15, 2010.) 

2. The Brignoli Building. This buikding features extensive use of native stone and the familiar iron doors and shutters of Gold Rush architecture; it is one of the largest and oldest buildings in Sutter Creek. (Submitted on April 15, 2010.) 
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable Buildings
 
Brignoli Building image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 9, 2010
3. Brignoli Building
Brignoli Buildings image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 9, 2010
4. Brignoli Buildings
Historic Mural on Side of the Smaller Brignole Building image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 9, 2010
5. Historic Mural on Side of the Smaller Brignole Building
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 713 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement