Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sutter Creek in Amador County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Robert Carlton Downs

1828 – 1905

 
 
Robert Carlton Downs Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 9, 2010
1. Robert Carlton Downs Marker
Inscription. Associate of Leland Stanford, Pioneer, Miner, Legislator, Businessman. Sailed around Cape Horn on clipper ship Tahamaroo in 1849. Established the first deep quartz mine, The Union, with E.B. McIntyre, S. Hanford & N. Drew in 1851. Became Superintendent in 1857 of The Union, later renamed The Lincoln.
 
Location. 38° 23.571′ N, 120° 48.181′ W. Marker is in Sutter Creek, California, in Amador County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Old Highway 49) and Fiefield Street, on the left when traveling north on Main Street (Old Highway 49). Click for map. Marker is mounted on the side of the Hubbell Building. Marker faces Fiefield Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 39 Main Street, Sutter Creek CA 95685, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William Barker Hubbell (here, next to this marker); Bellotti Inn (a few steps from this marker); Native Sons Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Levaggi Opera House (within shouting distance of this marker); In Memory of General John A. Sutter (within shouting distance of this marker); Brignoli Building
Robert Carlton Downs Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 9, 2010
2. Robert Carlton Downs Marker
Located on the side of building facing Fiefield Street.
(within shouting distance of this marker); Sutter Creek (within shouting distance of this marker); Sutter Creek United Methodist Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line). Click for a list of all markers in Sutter Creek.
 
Also see . . .
1. Sutter Creek, The Lincoln Mine, and Leland Stanford. Leland Stanford received an interest in this mine as payment for debt owned to him. As the mine was not producing, he planned on selling his interest for a mere $5,000. Robert Downs convinced him to hold on for a short time, and then a vein was discovered. The income from this mine led to extraordinary wealth for Leland Stanford. (Submitted on April 16, 2010.) 

2. Building on Which the Marker is Mounted is Stop #9 on the Sutter Creek Walking Tour. This brick building was built by William Hubbell, c1867, after fire destroyed the Oddfellows Hall which had stood on this site. (Submitted on April 16, 2010.) 
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable Persons
 
Hubbell Building image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 9, 2010
3. Hubbell Building
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 841 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement