Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Angelo in Tom Green County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Fort Concho

 
 
Fort Concho Marker image. Click for full size.
By Gregory Walker, April 4, 2010
1. Fort Concho Marker
Inscription. The center of a line of forts extending from the northeastern border of Texas to El Paso. Was also northern point of southern chain of forts extending to Rio Grande, thence along that river to its mouth. Established 1867 (at then junction of Butterfield Trail, Goodnight Trail and road to San Antonio) by 4th Cavalry under Capt. George G. Huntt to protect frontier.

By March 1, 1870, fort buildings were (in order of their construction) a commissary and quartermaster storehouse, hospital, five officers quarters, a magazine and two barracks -- all built of sandstone.

Among those who commanded post were: Gen. Wm. R. Shafter (later major general of volunteers, Spanish-American War; commanded troops at capture of Santiago de Cuba, July 1898); Maj. John P. Hatch (at one time fort was named in his honor); Gen. Wesley Merritt (first commander of Fort Davis after Civil War; was later superintendent of U. S. Military Academy at West Point); Gen. Ranald Slidell Mackenzie (who led attacks, from this and other forts, credited with defeat of Indian resistance in southwest); and Gen. Benjamin H. Grierson, commander of Negro troops of 10th Cavalry.

On June 20, 1889, fort was abandoned as a military post and property passed into private ownership. (1970)
 
Erected 1970 by Texas State Historical
Fort Concho and Tenth Cavalry markers image. Click for full size.
By Richard Denney, April 4, 2010
2. Fort Concho and Tenth Cavalry markers
Fort Concho and Tenth Cavalry markers are side by side. Visitor / Information Center visible in background.
Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1977.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
 
Location. 31° 27.284′ N, 100° 25.882′ W. Marker is in San Angelo, Texas, in Tom Green County. Marker is on S. Oakes Street just from E. Ave. C, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Angelo TX 76901, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Tenth Cavalry (here, next to this marker); E. H. Danner (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Construction of the Fort (about 700 feet away); Orient-Santa Fe Freight Depot (about 700 feet away); Municipal Swimming Pool (approx. 0.2 miles away); Orient-Santa Fe Passenger Depot (approx. 0.2 miles away); Early Public Transportation in San Angelo (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Schwartz & Raas and San Angelo National Bank Building (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in San Angelo.
 
Also see . . .
1. Fort Concho. article in the Handbook of Texas Online. (Submitted on April 18, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas.) 

2. Fort Concho National Historic Landmark. article in the Handbook of Texas Online. (Submitted on April 18, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas.) 

3. Fort Concho -- Past, Present and Future
Panorama, Fort Concho parade grounds image. Click for full size.
By Richard Denney
3. Panorama, Fort Concho parade grounds
. ".. Fort Concho is considered among the best preserved frontier forts west of the Mississippi, and the long effort to save and restore it is as old as those of nationally known sites like Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia and Greenfield Village near Detroit.." (Submitted on May 1, 2010, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.) 
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesMilitaryWars, US Indian
 
Entrance to Fort Concho Visitor Center with historical markers. image. Click for full size.
By Gregory Walker, April 4, 2010
4. Entrance to Fort Concho Visitor Center with historical markers.
Fort Concho and Tenth Cavalry markers image. Click for full size.
By Richard Denney, April 4, 2010
5. Fort Concho and Tenth Cavalry markers
Fort Concho and Tenth Calvary markers are side by side. Visitor / Information Center visible in background.
Site of Fort Concho image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, June 8, 2013
6. Site of Fort Concho
Site of Fort Concho
Established 1867
Abandoned 1889
Marked by Pocahontas Chapter D.A.R.
San Angelo, Texas
1924
Fort Concho National Historic Landmark image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, June 8, 2013
7. Fort Concho National Historic Landmark
Gen. Grierson's house at Fort Concho image. Click for full size.
By Gregory Walker, April 4, 2010
8. Gen. Grierson's house at Fort Concho
Unrestored building at Fort Concho image. Click for full size.
By Gregory Walker, April 4, 2010
9. Unrestored building at Fort Concho
Sign about the building of Fort Concho image. Click for full size.
By Gregory Walker, April 4, 2010
10. Sign about the building of Fort Concho
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 762 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas.   2. submitted on , by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.   3. submitted on , by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.   4. submitted on , by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas.   5. submitted on , by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.   6, 7. submitted on , by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.   8, 9, 10. submitted on , by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement