Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Winsted in Litchfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Winchester

 
 
Winchester Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, April 8, 2010
1. Winchester Marker
front
Inscription.
[ front ]
Winchester
In 1686 the General Court of the Connecticut Colony granted to the town of Hartford and Windsor " lands on the north of Woodbury and on the west of Simsbury to make a plantation or villages theron." Later (1732) the Hartford proprietors, named in a patent of 1729, executed a deed which provided for division of the Hartford share, including the part which became Winchester. The General Assembly in May, 1786 authorized an ecclesiastical society in Winchester township. The meetinghouse was located near, and a later one on, the present Winchester Center Green. Following petition by the society, the General Assembly incorporated the Town of Winchester in May, 1771.
In 1778 the Assembly established the Ecclesiastical Society of Winsted (from Winchester and Barkhamsted townships) on Old North Road, but the opening of the Greenwoods Turnpike in 1799 from New Hartford to Sheffield brought a great volume of traffic to the valleys.

[ back ]
Settlers along the Still River erected a second meetinghouse near the present Winsted Green. The village of Winsted became an incorporated borough in 1858, a city in 1917. Since the late 1700's the community of Winchester / Winsted has thrived on a core of industry: scythes, thread, clocks, electrical items, ball bearings,
Winchester Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, April 8, 2010
2. Winchester Marker
back
and one of the few pin factories of the 1800's in the United States. The first grist mill was built in 1771 by David Austin at the foot of Highland Lake. Benjamin Jenkins and James Boyd built one of the State's first scythe factories at Lake and Meadow Streets in 1792. The Hoadleys and Whitings founded a clock industry here in 1897, which became the Gilbert Clock Company in 1871. Ribbon candy was invented in the 1880's in a local candy store. The Gilbert School (1895) became the home of the Northwestern Connecticut Community College in 1965.
Erected by the Town of Winchester
The Winchester Historical Society
And the Connecticut Historical Commission
1979
 
Erected 1979 by the Town of Winchester, the Winchester Historical Society, the Connecticut Historical Commission.
 
Location. 41° 55.26′ N, 73° 3.603′ W. Marker is in Winsted, Connecticut, in Litchfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Connecticut Route 183) and Park Place, on the right when traveling west on Main Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Winsted CT 06098, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Winchester Soldiers Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Winchester World War II Memorial
Winchester Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, April 8, 2010
3. Winchester Marker
(within shouting distance of this marker); Winsted Vietnam Monument (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Winchester Revolutionary War Memorial (about 700 feet away); Winsted Old Burying Ground (about 700 feet away); Winchester World War I Memorial (approx. mile away); Non-Repatriated Soldiers' Monument (approx. 0.3 miles away); Winchester VFW Monument (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Winsted.
 
Also see . . .
1. Winsted, Connecticut on Wikipedia. (Submitted on April 18, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
2. Town of Winchester. (Submitted on April 18, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
3. The Flood of '55 from The Hartford Courant. (Submitted on April 18, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
 
Categories. Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers
 
Nearby Marker Dedicated to 1955 Flood Victims image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, April 8, 2010
4. Nearby Marker Dedicated to 1955 Flood Victims
Dedicated
In Memory Of
Josephine D. Cornelio John M. Gould Maney Leshay Mary C. Machrone Sinclair L. Meggison William A. Samele Concetta Zappula
All Of Whom Perished In The
Devastating Flood Of This City
August 19, 1955

Erected By
Winsted Chamber Of Commerce
Dedicated August 19, 1956
Marker Dedicated to 1955 Flood Victims image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, April 8, 2010
5. Marker Dedicated to 1955 Flood Victims
In the background is the Winchester Soldiers Monument
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 924 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement