Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Dixon in Solano County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Halfway House

In Search of the Pony Express - Station Marker

 
 
Halfway House Marker (Obverse) image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, April 17, 2010
1. Halfway House Marker (Obverse)
Inscription. {Obverse:}
Dedicated April 23, 1998
Halfway House
Added Station
Apr. 23, 1860 - Sep. 8, 1861
By
Sidney & Diane Schroeder Family
Ron Dupratt Family
John & Patty Greiner Family
Dixon Historical Society
American Legion Dixon Post #208
Pony Express Trail Association


{Reverse:}
The station was located 90 feet southwest and called Halfway House or Silvey's Hotel. There was a telegraph and some other businesses here.

The first Pony Express trip here was on April 23, 1860 and the rider was Sam Hamilton. He left from Sportsman's Hall about 12 miles east of Placerville at 8:50 p.m. on April 22, 1860 and arrived at 1:00 a.m. in Sacramento. He had covered those 55.3 miles averaging 13.3 MPH. He was then told that he had to ride on to Benicia with the mail.

He left Sacramento at 1:10 A.M. with a fresh horse. He crossed the bridge over the Sacramento River and was on his way. He arrived here around 3:15 A.M. and left within 5 minutes on another fresh horse for Gillespie's Store in Vacaville.

1998 Joe Nardone
 
Erected 1998 by Pony Express Trail Association and others (see marker text).
 
Marker series. This marker is included in
Halfway House Marker (Reverse) image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, April 17, 2010
2. Halfway House Marker (Reverse)
the Pony Express National Historic Trail marker series.
 
Location. 38° 27.667′ N, 121° 51.505′ W. Marker is near Dixon, California, in Solano County. Marker is at the intersection of Silveyville Road and Schroeder Road, on the left when traveling west on Silveyville Road. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6100 Silveyville Road, Dixon CA 95620, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Village of Silveyville (a few steps from this marker); Sacramento Valley National Cemetery (approx. 3.4 miles away); J. Robert Chapman Memorial Bridge (approx. 7.2 miles away); Vaca Valley Railroad (approx. 7.2 miles away); Wolfskill Grant (approx. 7.3 miles away); Hotel De Vilbiss (approx. 7.3 miles away); Cradwick Building (approx. 7.3 miles away); Solano House (approx. 7.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Dixon.
 
More about this marker. The marker is located at the roadside on the south side of Silveyville Road, underneath a couple of large trees, a couple of hundred feet east of where Silveyville Road meets Schroeder Road.
 
Regarding Halfway House. Along the front and back of the base of the marker the following sponsors are listed: First
The Pony Express route today - Silveyville Road looking east toward Sacramento from the marker site image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, April 17, 2010
3. The Pony Express route today - Silveyville Road looking east toward Sacramento from the marker site
Northern Bank; Elmer Schroeder Family; Supervisor Skip Thomson; Roy & Maudene Schroeder; Solano County; Ken Schroeder Families; Don & Marcia Erickson; Donald "Spido" and Susan Carpenter Webb; Herb, Lois, Jenny, Michelle, and Taylor Cross; Soroptomist International of Dixon; William & Linda Bernheim; James D. Sanderson, D.D.S.; Dawson S.; Michael & Mary Christensen; Monk & Son; Robert C. Gill Family; Milton & Sadie Carpenter; John Sievers Family; Dixon Rotary Club; William W. Reese; Norman & Ann Root; Christine and Bob Button; Malcolm M. Smith Motorsports; WRDWC Conklin & DMWR Foote.
 
Also see . . .  'Pony' riders found Solano shortcut. Jerry Bowen's short article on the Pony Express route through Solano County. (Submitted on April 19, 2010.) 
 
Categories. Communications
 
Halfway House Marker, Silveyville Marker, and the <i>Stage Stop</i> image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, April 17, 2010
4. Halfway House Marker, Silveyville Marker, and the Stage Stop
While this marker was being photographed, the owner of house christened The Stage Stop, Ms. Schroeder, came out and was kind enough to provide some history. Her home was not the original Halfway House (or Silvey's Hotel, as the stage stop is sometimes referred to), but rather was built directly on top of the foundations of the Halfway House after it burned down.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 1,264 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement