Near Appomattox Court House in Appomattox County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Battle of Appomattox Station
April 8, 1865: 4-8 p.m.
Erected by Appomattox Court House National Historical Park - National Park Service - US Department of the Interior.
Location. 37° 22.39′ N, 78° 49.027′ W. Marker is near Appomattox Court House, Virginia, in Appomattox County. Marker is on State Highway 24, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Located at the Grant's Headquarters Wayside in Appomattox Court House National Historic Site. Marker is in this post office area: Appomattox VA 24522, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Grant’s Pursuit (a few steps from this marker); “Message of Peace” Education in 1800's Rural Virginia (approx. 0.6 miles away); Raine Cemetery and Monument (approx. 0.7 miles away); North Carolina (approx. 0.7 miles away); Confederate Artillery Position (approx. ¾ mile away); Walker's Last Stand (approx. ¾ mile away); Custer's Third Brigade (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Appomattox Court House.
Also see . . . The Battle of Appomattox Station. Civil War Preservation Trust page offering detailed information about the battle. Despite the growth of the town of Appomattox, a portion of this battlefield remains undeveloped. (Submitted on April 24, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,637 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by William Barnard of Fairfax Station, Virginia. 3, 4. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.