Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Holbrook in Navajo County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Navajo County Courthouse

 
 
Navajo County Courthouse Marker, Holbrook, Arizona image. Click for full size.
By Thomas Chris English, April 27, 2010
1. Navajo County Courthouse Marker, Holbrook, Arizona
An interesting fact about this courthouse is that it was approved by Congress and constructed 14 years before Arizona became a state. Statehood was a foregone conclusion, or people simply knew the value of U.S. law in one of the last vestiges of the American Frontier.
Inscription.
Navajo County Courthouse
In 1896, the U.S. Congress passed enabling legislation to provide a permanent courthouse at Holbrook. Construction was delayed until Frank A. Zuck donated land in April of 1898. Plans submitted by Phoenix architects D.W. Millard and George G. Grosvenor were accepted by the Board of Supervisors, and on May 5, 1898, the building contract was awarded to M.J. Kennedy and John C. Grim of Flagstaff. The brick and native-stone structure was completed January 9, 1899, at a total cost of $15,300. It is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
 
Erected 1981.
 
Location. 34° 54.167′ N, 110° 9.489′ W. Marker is in Holbrook, Arizona, in Navajo County. Marker is on West Arizona Street near Navajo Boulevard (Business Interstate 40), on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 East Arizona Street, Holbrook AZ 86025, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Henry R. Holbrook (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wigwam Village #6 (approx. 0.6 miles away); Little Colorado River Bridge
Navajo County Courthouse from the Southwest image. Click for full size.
By Thomas Chris English, April 26, 2010
2. Navajo County Courthouse from the Southwest
(approx. 0.6 miles away); The Old Fort (approx. 10 miles away).
 
Categories. GovernmentNotable Buildings
 
Navajo County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Thomas Chris English, April 30, 2010
3. Navajo County Courthouse Marker
Looking east across Navajo Boulevard at junction with Arizona Avenue. Marker is mounted on the stone wall to the right of the Navajo County Museum sign.
Navajo County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Thomas Chris English, April 26, 2010
4. Navajo County Courthouse
Picture includes the associated veterans memorials and gazebo/bandstand.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Chris English of Phoenix, Arizona. This page has been viewed 916 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Chris English of Phoenix, Arizona.   3. submitted on , by Chris English of Phoenix, Arizona.   4. submitted on , by Chris English of Phoenix, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement