Delphos in Allen County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Miami and Erie Canal / Delphos
Anthony Wayne Parkway
This marker is on the right-of-way of the old Miami and Erie Canal. Gov. DeWitt Clinton of New York broke ground for the canal on July 21, 1825 just below Middletown. Built in sections, the canal was opened from end to end in 1845. It was 248.8 miles long and here on the "Loramie Summit," rose to 512 feet above Lake Erie. It included 19 aqueducts, 3 guard locks, 103 lift locks, and 3 reservoirs. Navigation began November 28, 1827 and, at the peak of operation, about 400 boats plied the "big ditch." The coming of the railroad signaled its decline. Operation ended officially in 1877, but the canal was used in part through the early 1900's. The canal provided western Ohio with badly needed transportation and water power and was instrumental in welding the state together politically and economically.
[East Side of Marker]: Delphos
Delphos began and flourished as a canal town. It was originally four separate settlements: East Bredeick, West Bredeick, Howard, and Section Ten (named after a section of the canal). In 1851, Father John Otto Bredeick, a Bavarian priest who had purchased and founded this area in 1840, named the settlement Delphos. The town became a center of canal traffic rivalled in the west only by Fort Wayne, Indiana. The
Erected 1953 by The Delphos Chamber of Commerce.
Location. 40° 50.826′ N, 84° 20.439′ W. Marker is in Delphos, Ohio, in Allen County. Marker is on West 5th Street east of North Canal Street, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 173 West 5th Street, Delphos OH 45833, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Leslie C. Peltier (approx. ¼ mile away); Miami and Erie Canal (approx. 0.7 miles away); Fort Jennings (approx. 4.5 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Jennings (approx. 4.6 miles away); a different marker also named The Miami and Erie Canal Anthony Wayne's March Across Van Wert County / Venedocia Village (approx. 7.6 miles away); Lincoln Highway (approx. 7.6 miles away); Venedocia War Memorial (approx. 7.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Delphos.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,539 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.