Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Canary Islanders

 
 
The Canary Islanders Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 31, 2010
1. The Canary Islanders Marker
Inscription.
Earliest civilian colonists of San Antonio, this nucleus of pioneers from the Canary Islands formed the first organized civil government in Texas and founded the village of San Fernando de Bexar in 1731.

Following a sea and land voyage of over a year, these weary travelers arrived at the Presidio (Fort) of San Antonio early on March 9, 1731. Totaling 56 persons, they had emigrated to Texas from the Spanish Canary Islands near Africa, by order of King Philip V.

On July 2 they began to lay out a villa (village), choosing a site on the west side of the Plaza de las Yslas (present Main Plaza) for the church and a site on the east side for the Casa Real (government building). On July 19 the Captain of the Presidio, Juan Antonio de Almazan, read to the Islanders the decree of the Viceroy naming them and their descendants “Hijos Dalgo” – Persons of Nobility.

The heads of the 16 families who settled in San Antonio were: Juan Leal Goraz, Juan Curbelo, Juan Leal, Antonio Santos, Jose Padron, Manuel de Nis, Vincente Alvarez Travieso, Salvador Rodriguez, Jose Leal, Juan Delgado, Jose Cabrera, Juan Rodriguez Granadillo, Francisco de Arocha, Antonio Rodriguez, Lorenzo and Martin de Armas, and Felipe and Jose Antonio Perez.
 
Erected 1971 by Texas State Historical
The Canary Islanders Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 1, 2010
2. The Canary Islanders Marker
Bexar County Courthouse in background.
Survey Committee. (Marker Number 702.)
 
Location. 29° 25.439′ N, 98° 29.619′ W. Marker is in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. Marker is at the intersection of Dolorosa and Main Plaza, on the right when traveling east on Dolorosa. Click for map. Marker is located on the north grounds of the county courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Dolorosa, San Antonio TX 78205, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 200th Anniversary of San Antonio Municipal Government (a few steps from this marker); Justice's Court (a few steps from this marker); American Legion Memorial Highway (a few steps from this marker); San Antonio: The Flavor of Its Past (within shouting distance of this marker); The Bexar County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Reaffirming the Miracle of Our Lady of Guadalupe (within shouting distance of this marker); San Antonio de Padua (within shouting distance of this marker); The Storming of Bexar (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in San Antonio.
 
Also see . . .
1. Canary Islanders. (Submitted on April 28, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. San Fernando de Bexar. (Submitted on April 28, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Colonial EraExplorationForts, CastlesSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,567 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement