Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Storming of Bexar

Vicinity of

 

(December 5-9, 1835)

 
The Storming of Bexar Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 31, 2010
1. The Storming of Bexar Marker
Inscription.
First of four major engagements of the War for Texas Independence, this sanguinary battle ended a siege of six weeks. The assault began at dawn, Dec. 5. 300 volunteers (Texans, Mexicans, and Americans) under Cols. Frank W. Johnson and Benjamin R. Milam attacked 1,200 Mexican troops commanded by Gen. Martin P. de Cos defending San Antonio, then known as Bexar.

Two columns advanced into the strongly fortified town along Acequia (now Main) and Soledad Streets guided by townsmen John W. Smith (first mayor of San Antonio), Hendrick Arnold (famous scout and free negro), “Deaf” Smith (who helped destroy Vince's Bridge at Battle of San Jacinto), and Samuel A. Maverick (a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence).

The Texans gained the “Priest's House” Dec. 8 after bitter house-to-house fighting. This Mexican strong point dominated Main Plaza. Covered by a fusillade of musketry, the Mexicans retired to the Alamo and sent a white flag to the plaza the following day. An honorable truce with a brave enemy was signed on Dec. 10 in the “Cos House” in historic La Villita. Later engagements - Fall of the Alamo and Massacre at Goliad - were followed by final victory and Texas independence at San Jacinto, April 21, 1836.
 
Erected 1971 by Texas State
The Storming of Bexar Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 31, 2010
2. The Storming of Bexar Marker
Looking north.
Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 5135.)
 
Location. 29° 25.431′ N, 98° 29.593′ W. Marker is in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. Marker is at the intersection of Dwyer Avenue and Kallison Walk, on the right when traveling north on Dwyer Avenue. Click for map. Marker is east across the street from the county courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 136 E. Main Plaza, San Antonio TX 78205, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Main Plaza Fortifications (here, next to this marker); San Antonio Mutual Aid Association (a few steps from this marker); San Antonio: The Flavor of Its Past (within shouting distance of this marker); The Bexar County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Justice's Court (within shouting distance of this marker); 200th Anniversary of San Antonio Municipal Government (within shouting distance of this marker); The Canary Islanders (within shouting distance of this marker); American Legion Memorial Highway (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in San Antonio.
 
Also see . . .  The Siege and Storming of Bexar. (Submitted on April 29, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesMan-Made FeaturesPatriots & PatriotismWar, Texas Independence
 
The Storming of Bexar Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, October 15, 2012
3. The Storming of Bexar Marker
Marker is at lower right
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,288 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.   3. submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement