Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Hopewell in Prince George County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Merchant's Hope Church

 
 
Merchant's Hope Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, April 29, 2010
1. Merchant's Hope Church Marker
Inscription. This well-known colonial church's architectural form and detail is typical of early and mid-18th-century Virginia churches. Located half a mile south, the building has Flemish-bond brickwork, modillion cornice, and a gracefully splayed gable roof. Although most of its original interior features were lost during the Civil War, the gallery, stone aisle pavers, and roof framing survived and were repaired by 1870. Historic restoration began in the 1960s and was completed in the 1970s. The original wood trusses were reinforced in 2004. The property was listed on the Virginia Landmarks Register in 1968 and the National Register of Historic Places in 1969.
 
Erected 2005 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number K 209.)
 
Location. 37° 16.173′ N, 77° 11.78′ W. Marker is near Hopewell, Virginia, in Prince George County. Marker is at the intersection of James River Drive (Virginia Route 10) and Merchants Hope Road (Virginia Route 641), on the right when traveling east on James River Drive. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hopewell VA 23860, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Cattle Raid (approx. 2.5 miles away); Evergreen
James River Dr & Merchants Hope Rd (facing east) image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, April 29, 2010
2. James River Dr & Merchants Hope Rd (facing east)
(approx. 2.6 miles away); Richard Bland (approx. 2.9 miles away); Samuel Jordan of Jordan's Journey (approx. 2.9 miles away); Powell's Creek (approx. 2.9 miles away); Flowerdew Hundred (approx. 3 miles away); Capt. John Woodliffe (approx. 3.2 miles away); Benjamin Harrison (approx. 3.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Hopewell.
 
Additional comments.
1. Oldest Episcopalian church
Prince George is home to the oldest Episcopalian church still standing and still being used as a house of worship in America. Merchants Hope Church was completed in 1657 and was named after the Merchants Hope Plantation which was located west of Martin's Brandon. Even though the church has undergone renovation and restoration, it is virtually the same structure today as it was when it was built 50 years after Jamestown was settled. Merchantís Hope Church is a state and national landmark.
    — Submitted June 15, 2010, by Tim McCann of Chesapeake, Virginia.

 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Colonial EraNotable Buildings
 
Merchant's Hope Church image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, April 29, 2010
3. Merchant's Hope Church
Merchant's Hope Church (interior) image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, March 12, 2011
4. Merchant's Hope Church (interior)
Merchant's Hope Church Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, April 29, 2010
5. Merchant's Hope Church Plaque
Original ironwork on door image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, March 12, 2011
6. Original ironwork on door
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 973 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.   4. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.   5. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.   6. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement