Sunnyvale in Santa Clara County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Hendy Stamp Mill / Hendy's “California” Stamp Mill
Following the 1906 Earthquake, John Hendy moved the iron works from San Francisco to Sunnyvale, lured here by the offer of free land, and was operational in 1907. Hendy Iron Works was the first heavy industry in Sunnyvale and was Santa Clara Valley’s largest manufacturing concern at that time.
This Hendy “California” stamp mill represented the finest machine technology available in the early nineteen hundreds. This type of gravity stamp mill was one of the most important factors in the extraction of gold, silver and copper ores, from hard rock mines.
The stamp battery was activated by rotating the pulley wheel, made of a dried California Yellow Pine, which turned the camshaft and cams, made of “Adamantine” chrome steel, at 50 to 55 RPMS. The cams raised the 1,000 lb. stamps to a pre-set height. Then the stamps would fall, pulverizing the gold ore between the stamp heads and the mortar dies. The pulverized ore was sifted by a special screen
“The reputation and superiority of ‘Hendy’ mortars is based on experience, design and quality, to the interested engineer, investor or miner. This results in the best gravity stamp battery units of five stamps and over.”
Source: Henry Iron Works Catalog – July, 1911.
In 1986 the mill was purchased by the Iron Man Museum of Sunnyvale from Frederick’s great-grandson, Eric.
The restoration and installation of this mill was completed in April of 1996 through the efforts of the Iron Man Museum, the Sunnyvale Historical Society and Museum Association, Mountain Charlie Chapter 1850 – E Clampus Vitus and many members of the Community.
A gift to the City of Sunnyvale and its citizens
Erected 1996 by Mountain Charlie Chapter 1850 E Clampus Vitus,
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 37° 22.886′ N, 122° 1.619′ W. Marker is in Sunnyvale, California, in Santa Clara County. Marker can be reached from North Sunnyvale Avenue near East California Avenue. Click for map. Marker is located at the northwest corner of the Martin Murphy Historic Park. Parking is available via E. California Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 219 North Sunnyvale Avenue, Sunnyvale CA 94086, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Home of Martin Murphy, Jr. (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); De Anza Expedition 1775 - 1776 (about 300 feet away); F.E. Cornell’s Country Store (approx. 0.3 miles away); Battle of Santa Clara (approx. 3.6 miles away); H.G. Wade’s Warehouse (approx. 4.1 miles away); Alviso (approx. 4.1 miles away); Union Warehouse and Docks (approx. 4.2 miles away); Bayside Cannery (approx. 4.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Sunnyvale.
Also see . . .
1. Joshua Hendy Iron Works. The history of the company transcribed from History of Santa Clara County, California, page 818. Published by Historic Record Co. – 1918 (Submitted on April 30, 2010.)
2. A Sunnyvale Public Library Blog-Cast (Submitted on April 30, 2010.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Natural Resources •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,994 times since then and 89 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.