Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Saint Marys in Auglaize County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Saint Marys River

 
 
Saint Marys River Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, April 6, 2010
1. Saint Marys River Marker
Inscription. To the right is the Saint Marys River. This waterway was used by the Indians for generations as a route to hunting grounds in Kentucky. French, and later English traders traversed its course with trade goods in exchange for furs. James Girty, a British trader, had a station near here until he fled in advance of Mad Anthony Wayne. This settlement became known as "Girty's Town." Following the Saint Marys Treaty with the Indians in 1818, this area was opened to settlers. The town of Saint Marys was founded in 1823.

River boats up to 32 feet long and 8 feet wide made the trip. The opening of the canal brought to an end the use of the river.
 
Erected 1992 by Frank B. Shuffelton and St. Marys Foundary.
 
Location. 40° 32.593′ N, 84° 23.243′ W. Marker is in Saint Marys, Ohio, in Auglaize County. Marker can be reached from East Spring Street (Ohio Route 29) west of South Chestnut Street, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. This historical marker is located in a downtown community park that is located off of West South Street between West Chestnut Street and the St. Marys River. The historical marker is physically situated just north of the east end of a covered bridge, between the St. Marys
Saint Marys River Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, April 6, 2010
2. Saint Marys River Marker
View of historical marker in the foreground with a view of the covered bridge spanning the St. Marys River in the background.
River and the Miami and Erie Canal. Marker is at or near this postal address: 141 East Spring Street, Saint Marys OH 45885, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The "Short Level" of the Miami and Erie Canal (a few steps from this marker); Miami and Erie Canal (a few steps from this marker); Fort St. Marys / Fort Barbee / Girty Town (approx. mile away); Fort St. Marys (approx. 0.4 miles away); Grand Lake Saint Marys (approx. 1.6 miles away); Broadwell Mill (approx. 3.4 miles away); Plank Road (approx. 4.8 miles away); New Knoxville: The Ladbergen Kinship (approx. 5 miles away).
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceMilitaryNative AmericansSettlements & SettlersWars, US IndianWaterways & Vessels
 
Saint Marys River image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, April 6, 2010
3. Saint Marys River
View of covered bridge spanning the St Marys River at it's location in the city park. The historical marker is located to the right of the covered bridge.
Saint Marys River image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, April 6, 2010
4. Saint Marys River
View of the St. Marys River and the covered bridge that spans the river at the city park. The historical marker is located on the far side of the river, just beyond the covered bridge.
Saint Marys River Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, April 6, 2010
5. Saint Marys River Marker
View of historical marker in the foreground, with a view of the city park in the background and the St. Marys River in the right background.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 953 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement