South Fenwick Island in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Fenwick Island Lighthouse
In operation from 1859 to 1978
as an official aid to navigation
Transferred to Delaware, 1981
Restored, 1982 – 1983, by The Friends of
the Fenwick Island Lighthouse under the
leadership of W. Paul Pepper, President
With the assistance of:
The State of Deleware
The Fenwick Island Women’s Club
Senator Richard S. Cordrey
Richard B. Carter
Earl R. Strausbaugh
John Cziraki, Steeplejack
Oliver Cropper Herla Lobo
(nearby informational marker)
On December 29, 1858, the Lighthouse Board issued the following announcement:
Fenwicks Island, Delaware”
Notice is hereby given that the new tower at Fenwicks Island, Deleware, is finished, and that a light will be exhibited therefrom for the first day of August
The watch room and lantern are painted black, the lower and keeper’s dwelling white.
The illuminating apparatus is of the third order of the system of Fresnel and will show a fixed white light varied by a bright flash every two minutes.
The focal plane is 86 feet above the level of the sea, and the light should be visible in ordinary states of the atmosphere 15 nautical miles.
The approximate position of the light-house, as deduced from the Coast Survey charts, is –
Latitude, 38° 27’ 00” North
Longitude, 75° 03’ 30” West…”
The lighthouse cost $23,748.96 to build in 1858.
The light was first fueled by whole oil, then kerosene and was magnified by a lens, (Fresnel lens), imported from France.
The two houses flanking the lighthouse were the homes of the lighthouse keeper and his assistant. These are now privately owned.
The Lighthouse is presently operated by the Friends
Erected 1983 by the Friends of the Fenwick Island Lighthouse.
Location. 38° 27.082′ N, 75° 3.297′ W. Marker is in South Fenwick Island, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is at the intersection of 146th Street and Lighthouse Ave, on the left when traveling east on 146th Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fenwick Island DE 19944, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mason and Dixon Line-Survey Start (here, next to this marker); Transpeninsular Line (here, next to this marker); The History of the Lighthouse (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Fenwick Island Lighthouse (a few steps from this marker); Eastern End of Transpeninsular Line Between Maryland and Three Lower Counties of Pennsylvania (approx. 0.2 miles Old Sound Methodist Church (approx. 4.8 miles away); Our Community's Role in World War II (third marker) (approx. 5.8 miles away); Our Community's Role in World War II (first marker) (approx. 5.8 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. A Brief History of the Fenwick Island Lighthouse. (Submitted on October 18, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
2. A Brief History of the Fenwick Island Lighthouse. Rudy and Alice's Lighthouse Page includes additional pictures of this and other lighthouses. (Submitted on October 18, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Categories. • Communications • Notable Buildings • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 3,192 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 2. submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 3. submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.