Marietta in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Ante-bellum residence of John R. Wilder.
June 21, Hood’s A. C. was shifted to the left, of Hardee’s line [CS] -- prolonging it to & S. of Powder Springs rd., leaving Wheeler to guard the rt. flank. Maj. Gen. W. W. Loring had his headquarters at "Oakton", the Wilder house.
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 033-50.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 57.997′ N, 84° 33.69′ W. Marker is in Marietta, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker is on Kennesaw Avenue 0 miles north of St. Marys Lane, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Marietta GA 30064, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cherokee Indian Trail Tree (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Residence of Alice McLellan Birney The Archibald Howell Home (approx. 0.7 miles away); Clarke Library Building (approx. one mile away); Johnston's Line East of Kennesaw (approx. one mile away); Kennesaw House (approx. 1.1 miles away); UDC And Kennesaw House (approx. 1.1 miles away); a different marker also named Kennesaw House (approx. 1.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Marietta.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 964 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.