Washington in Wilkes County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Wilkes County Confederate Memorial
Anno Domini 1908
"Last Cabinet" Chapter
Daughters of The Confederacy,
Sons of Veterans.
of abiding love
Know through all time that they fought to maintain a just Union; to defend constitutional government, to perpetuate American liberties, and left you their patriotic spirit.
"Lord God of Hosts be with us yet,
Lest we forget. Lest we forget."
"On Fame's eternal camping ground
Their silent tents are spread,
And glory guards with solemn round,
the bivouac of the dead."
Erected 1908 by "Last Cabinet" Chapter United Daughters of The Confederacy, Ladies Memorial Association, Sons of Veterans.
Marker series. This marker is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy marker series.
Location. 33° 44.259′ N, 82° 44.348′ W. Marker is in Washington, Georgia, in Wilkes County. Marker is at the intersection of West Court Street and North Spring Street / West Square, on the left Click for map. Memorial stands at the north end of the Public Square in downtown Washington, Georgia. It is directly across West Court Street from the Wilkes County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Washington GA 30673, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Washington-Wilkes Vietnam Monument (a few steps from this marker); Woodmen of the World Supreme Sacrifice Monument (a few steps from this marker); Washington, Wilkes County, Georgia (a few steps from this marker); Last Cabinet Meeting (within shouting distance of this marker); Jefferson Davis (within shouting distance of this marker); Bolton Factory (within shouting distance of this marker); Wilkes County (within shouting distance of this marker); Slave Market (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Washington.
More about this marker. "Since the completion of the 1904 Wilkes County Courthouse, the Confederate Memorial Association had been planning to erect a monument on the Public Square across the street. The women of this organization aroused the interest of the whole town and enlisted the churches, schools, and clubs to raise funds. For this purpose the young ladies of St. Joseph's Academy presented a recital
Regarding Wilkes County Confederate Memorial. The CSA government was officially dissolved on May 4, 1865, on the site of the current courthouse across the street from where the Confederate Memorial today stands. In a former bank building there, President Jefferson Davis held the last official meeting of the Confederate Cabinet.
Additional keywords. granite obelisk soldier statue
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 1,002 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.