Near Wallace in Pender County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 1948 by Archives, Conservation and Highway Departments. (Marker Number D-34.)
Location. 34° 40.817′ N, 77° 56.517′ W. Marker is near Wallace, North Carolina, in Pender County. Marker is on U.S. 117 south of Exit 390 (Interstate 40), on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Burgaw NC 28425, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Timothy Bloodworth (approx. ľ mile away); Hinton James (approx. 4.5 miles away); Our Heroes (approx. 9 miles away); Burgaw Station (approx. 9 miles away); S. S. Satchwell (approx. 9.1 miles away); Stag Park (approx. 10.2 miles away); George Burrington (approx. 10.2 miles away); William S. Ashe (approx. 14.3 miles away).
Also see . . . What was the Welsh Tract?. 2009 article by Ben Steelman in the StarNews. Excerpt: “Instead of migrating as a group, the settlers seem to have picked up their land grants separately. Among these was Hugh Meredith, a former printer for Benjamin Franklin in Philadephia, who headed south to join relatives. Franklinís Pennsylvania Gazette included detailed accounts of the settlement — probably written by Meredith, in its numbers 129 and 130, appearing in April and May 1731. The big draw appears to have been generous bounties from the British Parliament to those willing to go into the naval stores industry (tar, pitch and turpentine). Certainly, the region had plenty of pine trees that could be tapped for naval stores.”
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on May 4, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 727 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 4, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.