Dahlonega in Lumpkin County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
It is believed that Federal troops also used this station as early as 1830 to guard the gold mines from intruders -- Indians or Whites -- until the question of ownership of the territory was established.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 093-6.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission, and the Trail of Tears marker series.
Location. 34° 29.32′ N, 84° 1.198′ W. Marker is in Dahlonega, Georgia, in Lumpkin County. Marker is at the intersection of Autaria Road (Georgia Route 9E) and Tanner Drive, on the right when traveling north on Autaria Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dahlonega GA 30533, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Auraria (approx. one mile away); Calhoun Gold Mine (approx. 2.7 miles away); Price Memorial Building (approx. 3.4 miles away); Findley Ridge (approx. 3.6 miles away); Singleton/Wimpy/Gaillard Homeplace (approx. 3.6 miles away); Lumpkin Court House (approx. 3.6 miles away); The Public Square (approx. 3.6 miles away); Dahlonega Mustering Grounds (approx. 3.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Dahlonega.
Additional keywords. Gold
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Forts, Castles • Military • Native Americans • Natural Resources •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 749 times since then and 73 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.