Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Peoria in Maricopa County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Peoria Central School

 
 
Peoria Central School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, May 4, 2010
1. Peoria Central School Marker
Inscription. An early example of Mission Revival-Style architecture, this two-room masonry school was built in 1906 to accommodate the growing population of Peoria. The main architectural feature is the curvilinear parapet. After the city purchased the building in 1978, the original cupola was removed and in 1993 a louvered cupola and painted curved metal tiles were added to simulate the original Mission-style roof. This is the oldest standing schoolhouse in the Peoria School District.

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
 
Erected 1994 by Peoria, Arizona Historical Society and Arizona Historical Society.
 
Location. 33° 34.721′ N, 112° 14.265′ W. Marker is in Peoria, Arizona, in Maricopa County. Marker is on North 83rd Avenue north of West Madison Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Peoria AZ 85345, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Presbyterian Church of Peoria (within shouting distance of this marker); GFWC Peoria Woman's Club (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Stable / Granary (approx. 2.8 miles away);
Peoria Central School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, May 4, 2010
2. Peoria Central School Marker
Marker on left side.
Corrals and Tack House (approx. 2.8 miles away); Blacksmith and Machine Shop (approx. 2.8 miles away); The Barnyard (approx. 2.8 miles away); Dairy Barn (approx. 2.8 miles away); Well House (approx. 2.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Peoria.
 
Categories. EducationNotable Buildings
 
Plaque Located on Right Side of Walk image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, May 4, 2010
3. Plaque Located on Right Side of Walk
C. A. Robinson
Pioneer Park
To the people who have given of their time and effort to making a better Peoria.
Township Date 1888
Incorporated Date 1954

The Valley of Perpetual Harvest
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 793 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement