Columbia in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
This house, listed in the National Register of Historic Places and probably built during the last decade of the 18th century, is one of the few remaining houses from this era in Columbia. It was purchased prior to 1860 by the Seibels family, pioneers in the insurance field, and remained in the family until 1984 when Seibels descendant George R. P. Walker donated it to Historic Columbia Foundation.
This house stands on plantation lands of Thomas Taylor, one of Columbia's founding fathers, who is buried two blocks east of here in the old family cemetery. The date 1796, seen on a hand-hewn basement beam by a local historian about 1935, indicates the house was built shortly after the new city's founding in 1786. An early separate kitchen built of hand-made brick stands behind the house.
Erected 1991 by The Columbia Committee of the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the State of South Carolina. (Marker Number 40-115.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Society of Colonial Dames of America marker series.
Location. 34° 0.77′ N, 81° 1.845′ W. Marker is in Columbia, South Carolina, in Richland County Click for map. Located between Henderson and Pickens Streets. Marker is in this post office area: Columbia SC 29201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Colonel Thomas Taylor (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Columbia Male Academy (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Thomas Taylor / Taylor Cemetery (about 700 feet away); Taylor Burying Ground (about 700 feet away); South Carolina State Hospital, Mills Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hampton - Preston House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Columbia Bible College, 1937-1960 / Westervelt Home, 1930 - 1937 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Former Site of Columbia Theological Seminary (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbia.
Regarding Seibels House. Hale-Elmore-Seibels House,
(Seibels House) Possibly the oldest house in Columbia, the Seibels House was built entirely of hand-hewn timber by A. M. Hale on a portion of the Thomas Taylor Plantation. Due to loss of state and local records by fire, the exact date of the house cannot be determined. However, there is record of the date 1796 carved on one of the hand-hewn timbers in the basement. The house was later purchased by Captain Benjamin Elmore, who then sold it to Mr.
National Register of Historic Places:
Hale-Elmore-Seibels House (added 1971 - - #71000804)
♦ Also known as Picriccorn House
♦ Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering
♦ Architect, builder, or engineer: Hale,A.M.
♦ Architectural Style: Georgian
♦ Area of Significance: Architecture
♦ Period of Significance: 1750-1799
♦ Owner: Private
♦ Historic Function: Domestic
♦ Historic Sub-function: Single Dwelling
Also see . . . Historic Columbia Foundation - the circa-1796 Seibels House. (Submitted on May 7, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 676 times since then and 79 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.