Middletown in Butler County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Miami & Erie Canal in Middletown
Port Middletown Plaza
Ohio's canal system was the most effective between 1827 and 1850, before the introduction of the railroads. In Middletown, the canal was still used well into the 20th century but in 1913 a devastating flood destroyed much of the canal. In 1929 water was drained from the canal and the canal bed was filled in, paved and dedicated in 1938 as Verity Parkway.
[Photo] Left, in 1906 the line boat Excello, captained by Earl Winter, was the last regular canal boat taken out of Middletown.
Erected by City of Middletown, the Middletown Historical Society, and Others.
Location. 39° 30.963′ N, 84° 24.153′ W. Marker is in Middletown, Ohio, in Butler County. Marker is at the intersection of Central Avenue (Ohio Route 122) and N. Verity Parkway (Ohio Route 73), on the right when traveling west on Central Avenue. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Middletown OH 45044, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ohio Canals (here, next to this marker); Port Middletown (here, next to this marker); Canal Boats (here, next to this marker); Canal Locks (here, next to this marker); The Miami & Erie Canal Lift Bridge (here, next to this marker); World War II Veterans Memorial Bench (approx. ¼ mile away); Middletown War Memorial Flagpole (approx. 0.6 miles away); Underground Railroad Route (approx. 0.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Middletown.
Also see . . .
1. Miami & Erie Canal.
2. History of the Miami & Erie Canal.
Categories. • Disasters • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Notable Events • Roads & Vehicles • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 1,257 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. 3, 4. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.