Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Glendale in Maricopa County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

First National Bank of Glendale Building

 
 
First National Bank of Glendale Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, May 4, 2010
1. First National Bank of Glendale Building Marker
Inscription. This structure was built in 1909 as the north half of the Hotchkiss building. It was a pool hall prior to 1918, when C. H. Tinker (Mayor 1918-20) purchased and remodeled it for his Security State Bank which he renamed The First National Bank of Glendale, when it became the city's first federally chartered bank. He added the terra cotta fašade, the oldest in the Salt River Valley. It was a Valley National Bank Branch from 1924-48. From 1948-60 it was a Salt River Project office. It remains the best local example of its new-classical revival style and Glendale's only unaltered historic commercial facade.

Restored in 1948 by E. L. "Gene" Coffinger.
 
Location. 33° 32.297′ N, 112° 11.106′ W. Marker is in Glendale, Arizona, in Maricopa County. Marker is on North 58th Drive south of West Glendale Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6838 North 58th Drive, Glendale AZ 85301, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Coury Building (within shouting distance of this marker); C. L. Gillett Block/Glendale State Bank Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Sine Brothers Hardware Building (within
First National Bank of Glendale Building image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, May 4, 2010
2. First National Bank of Glendale Building
shouting distance of this marker); Humphrey and Davidson Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Glendale's Towering Flagstaff (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); William J. Murphy (about 400 feet away); Hine Building (about 500 feet away); Robert W. Cole Building (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Glendale.
 
Also see . . .  Historic Downtown Glendale Walking Tour. This is stop #12 on the Glendale Walking Tour. The First National Bank of Glendale, built in 1918, is the only unchanged commercial building left in downtown Glendale. (Submitted on May 9, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.) 
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable Buildings
 
First National Bank of Glendale Building image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, May 4, 2010
3. First National Bank of Glendale Building
Two Markers to the right of entrance.
Upper Plaque:
Downtown Glendale
Historic
Restoration Achievement Award No. 1
Lower Plaque:
National Register of Historic Places
First National Bank of Glendale Building image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, May 4, 2010
4. First National Bank of Glendale Building
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 913 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement