Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of the Home of Dr. Ferdinand Ludwig Herff

 
 
Dr. Ferdinand Ludwig Herff Marker image. Click for full size.
By R. C.
1. Dr. Ferdinand Ludwig Herff Marker
Inscription. Ferdinand Ludwig Von Herff (1820-1912) was the son of Christian and Eleanora (Von Meusebach) Herff, prominent citizens of Darmstadt, Germany. The younger Von Herff studied in Giessen, Bonn and Berlin, graduating with a medical degree in 1843. He served as a surgeon in the Hessian Army, achieving recognition in plastic surgery, cataract extraction and tuberculosis treatment.
In 1847 he joined a group known as Die Vierziger (The Forty), who founded an idealistic commune in Texas called Bettina (near present Castell). The Utopian enterprise failed within a year, and Von Herff returned to Germany, where he was pressed into military service during the German Revolution. He married Mathilde Klingerhoeffer (1823-1910) in 1849, and they were on the way back to Texas by year's end.
The couple dropped the title "Von" from their name when they became American citizens. They lived briefly in New Braunfels, then settled in San Antonio in 1850. Active in city, cultural and medical affairs, Herff was a city alderman from 1850 to 1851. He helped form the Bexar County Medical Society and was a charter member of the Texas Medical Association in 1853. In 1855 he built a home on this site. Herff served as city health officer in 1860. Although he was a Confederate Army surgeon during the Civil War, his Union sympathies were known. In 1869,
Dr. Ferdinand Ludwig Herff Marker image. Click for full size.
By R. C.
2. Dr. Ferdinand Ludwig Herff Marker
he was instrumental in founding San Antonio's first infirmary, operated by the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word. Herff served on the Texas State Board of Medical Examiners in 1880 and continued his general medical practice until 1908, performing his last surgery at age 87. He died in his home on the river in 1912.
 
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12345.)
 
Location. 29° 25.517′ N, 98° 29.317′ W. Marker is in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. Marker is at the intersection of N. Presa St. and W. Crockett Street on N. Presa St.. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Antonio TX 78205, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. San Antonio River Indian Springs (within shouting distance of this marker); San Antonio Casino Club Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Stevens Building (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Staacke Brothers Building (about 500 feet away); Site of the Old Adobe (about 500 feet away); The Alamo / El Alamo (about 500 feet away); Father of the River Walk (about 500 feet away); Alamo Low Barracks and Main Gateway (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in San Antonio.
 
Categories. Notable PersonsScience & MedicineSettlements & Settlers
 
Dr. Ferdinand Ludwig Herff Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 29, 2010
3. Dr. Ferdinand Ludwig Herff Marker
Looking NNW across the San Antonio River.
Hix Medical Center [Navarro Street (west) facade] image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 29, 2010
4. Hix Medical Center [Navarro Street (west) facade]
The Herff marker is on the south wall of the Hix building near river level.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,433 times since then and 96 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey.   3, 4. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement