“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near San Augustine in San Augustine County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Norwood Community

Norwood Community Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, May 23, 2009
1. Norwood Community Marker
Inscription. This rural community was settled in the 1840s by William Coleson (W.C.) Norwood (1794-1885) and Eliza LeGrand Norwood (1808-1859). They migrated from North Carolina, where W.C. was a merchant and postmaster in the town of Norwood. The Norwoods were accompanied to Texas by their nine children and extended family members. Eliza Norwood's brother, E.O. LeGrand, a veteran of the Battle of San Jacinto and signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence, became a member of their household in the Norwood community.
W.C. Norwood served as San Augustine County commissioner and was instrumental in building early county roads. James L. Norwood, son of W.C. and Eliza Norwood, also served as San Augustine County commissioner.
The Norwood community included a cotton gin, grist mill, syrup mill, and a sawmill built by Hampton L. Norwood. E.O. Norwood, another of W.C. and Eliza's sons, became the town's doctor. In 1892 a school was established on one acre of land deeded by James Norwood. His daughter Cora donated land for a church in 1926. The community also included a grocery store, houses, and a cemetery. Norwood family members remain in the area, and continue to own land once belonged to their ancestors.
Erected 1997 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7629.)
Location. 31° 23.64′ N, 94° 11.766′ W. Marker is near San Augustine, Texas, in San Augustine County. Marker is on State Highway 103 half a mile west of State Highway 147, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Augustine TX 75972, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Mission Nuestra Seņora de Los Dolores de Los Ais (approx. 10.1 miles away); San Augustine County Courthouse (approx. 10.7 miles away); Old Hollis Building (approx. 10.7 miles away); Augus Theatre (approx. 10.7 miles away); Halfway Inn (approx. 12.3 miles away); Thompson Family (approx. 12.3 miles away).
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 541 times since then and 77 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement