Calhoun in Gordon County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Richard Peters Plantation
These troops, together with the 4th & 14th Corps [US] on the Atlanta road 1 mile W., were of the Army of the Cumberland & center of Sherman’s advance S. from two days of battle at Resaca.
The 4th & 14th Corps marched to Kingston; the 20th, to Cassville.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 064-25.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 28.817′ N, 84° 55.767′ W. Marker is in Calhoun, Georgia, in Gordon County. Marker is at the intersection of East Belmont Drive and Peters Street, on the right when traveling west on East Belmont Drive. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Calhoun GA 30701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gordon County (approx. 2 miles away); The Calhoun Depot (approx. 2 miles away); Calhoun, Ga, May 18, 1864. Roland Hayes (approx. 2.2 miles away); Johnston's Rear Guard Stops McPherson (approx. 2.3 miles away); Oothcaloga Mission (approx. 2.5 miles away but has been reported missing); Historic Liberty Cumberland Presbyterian Church (approx. 3.1 miles away); Liberty Church Grounds (approx. 3.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Calhoun.
More about this marker. The marker was originally located at the southeast corner of this intersection. In the 1980s it was moved 1/2 mile east. It has very recently been returned to the intersection where it had originally been erected (although to a different corner).
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,938 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.