Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Barbed Wire Demonstration

 
 
Barbed Wire Demonstration Marker image. Click for full size.
By R. C.
1. Barbed Wire Demonstration Marker
Inscription. Once called "bobwire" by cowboys, barbed wire was a French invention first patented in the U.S., in 1867, but it did not gain favor with cattlemen until late 1870s. Joseph Glidden of Dekalb, Illinois, received a patent for his barbed wire in 1874, and it was wire of his manufacture that was the first barbed wire fencing successfully demonstrated in Texas.

In 1876, veteran salesman Pete McManus and his young partner, John Warne Gates, made their first demonstration in San Antonio's bustling Military Plaza, it was here in the quiet "mudhole" of Alamo Plaza that McManus and Gates set up a barbed wire corral and then drove cattle into the pen. It is said that after the corral held the thundering animals under the astonished eyes of cowboys and cattlemen, the flamboyant Gates invited spectators in the Menger Hotel to place their orders. After the theatrical demonstration in Alamo Plaza, the market for barbed wire fencing suddenly exploded with large sales to Texas ranchers and others along the frontier.

Pete McManus reportedly sold more barbed wire fencing than any salesman in the world. John W. "Bet-A-Million" Gates became the world's largest barbed wire manufacturer. He helped found the Texas Company (later Texaco) and develop the town of Port Arthur.

Barbed wire fencing changed the landscape of the American west
Barbed Wire Demonstration Marker image. Click for full size.
By R. C.
2. Barbed Wire Demonstration Marker
Marker can be seen at the extreme far left of this photo in front of the Menger Hotel's gift shop.
and with it the industries of ranching and agriculture. It made possible the introduction of cultivated cattle stock into the beef industry and opened up the fertile land to farmers and other homesteaders. Within 25 years nearly all the open range had become privately owned and under fence.
 
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11742.)
 
Location. 29° 25.483′ N, 98° 29.2′ W. Marker is in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. Marker is on East Crockett Street just east of Alamo Plaza. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 204 Alamo Plaza, San Antonio TX 78205, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Menger Hotel (a few steps from this marker); San Antonio Section - National Council of Jewish Women (a few steps from this marker); The Defense of The Alamo (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Menger Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Menger Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Menger Bar (within shouting distance of this marker); The Alamo in 1836 (within shouting distance of this marker); Soldiers of the War of 1812 Who Fought for Texas (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Click for a list of all markers in San Antonio.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 848 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement