Westport in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
The Post Road Bridge
The Post Road Bridge
1807 Westport was a prosperous shipping community with wharves, docks, and shipyards along both sides of the Saugatuck River. The first Post Road Bridge was owned and built by the Connecticut Turnpike Company, a public service corporation chartered in 1806 by the General Assembly to build a highway from Fairfield to Greenwich with four toll Gates. The Westport portion was called State Street. The bridge toll charge ranged from 25 cents for two-horse stages and pleasure carriages, to 2 cents for each animal crossing the wood-plank bridge.
1857 The newly constructed railroad forced the Connecticut Turnpike Company out of business. Ownership of the bridge was turned over to the Town of Westport (incorporated 1835). The Town constructed a hoisting draw to allow for tall river traffic. Its design flaws and frequent repairs were the subject of great town controversy.
1917 The Strauss Bascule Bridge Co. of Chicago redesigned the earlier bridge, and town controversy subsided. This engineer's 1915 drawings show the location of the bearings in the bridge, and the way the drawbridge opened to allow boats to pass. The bridge cost $185,586.
1930s Westport was no longer a shipping center, and the Post Road was part of the State road system. In 1954, when Parker-Harding Plaza
1990-1992 The Connecticut Department of Transportation widened the bridge, lengthened the spans, and made extensive improvements. Buried bearing housings from the 1817 drawbridge were removed. This sculpture, "A Bridge in Time, " by Bobbie Kletzsch Friedman, incorporates 3 of them.
This project is sponsored by
The Sunrise Rotary Club of Westport Foundation, Inc.
The Downtown Merchants Association, and Drew Friedman
October 3, 1999
Erected 1999 by The Sunrise Rotary Club of Westport Foundation, Inc., The Downtown Merchants Association.
Location. 41° 8.44′ N, 73° 21.722′ W. Marker is in Westport, Connecticut, in Fairfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Jesup Road and Taylor Place, on the right when traveling east on Jesup Road. Click for map. Located in front of the Westport Library. Marker is at or near this postal address: 20 Jesup Road, Westport CT 06880, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jesup Green (within shouting distance of this marker); Jesup-Godillot House (about 800 feet away, measured Godillot Carriage House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Disbrow Tavern (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wheeler House (approx. ¼ mile away); Westport Korean War Monument (approx. 0.3 miles away); Westport World War II Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Westport Vietnam War Monument (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Westport.
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 853 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.