Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cockburn Town, Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos Islands — Caribbean Region (Atlantic Ocean)
 

St. Mary’s Anglican Pro-Cathedral Church

 
 
St. Mary's Anglican Pro-Cathedral Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, October 23, 2008
1. St. Mary's Anglican Pro-Cathedral Church Marker
Inscription. This church was first built as a ‘chapel of ease’ in 1900 to accommodate the parishioners of Cockburn Town. At that time, St. Thomas’ Church, which was the first church in Grand Turk, was quite a distance from the town and made it particularly difficult for evening worship. The Church was designated a Pro-Cathedral of the diocese of the Bahamas and Turks & Caicos Islands in the 1990s. Every diocese has a Cathedral, and as the Turks & Caicocs [sic] Islands are politically separated from the Bahamas but still ecclesiastically part of the Nassau diocese, St. Mary’s can be used as a Cathedral if the Bishop of the diocese wishes to do so. (Marker Number #13.)
 
Location. 21° 28.051′ N, 71° 8.794′ W. Marker is in Cockburn Town, Grand Turk. Marker is at the intersection of Front Street / Queen Street and Hall's Alley, on the left when traveling south on Front Street / Queen Street. Click for map. St. Mary's Anglican Pro-Cathedral Church is located in downtown Cockburn Town overlooking the water along the west coast of Grand Turk Island. Front Street changes to Queen Street going north to south near this spot. Marker is at or near this postal address: Front Street / Queen Street, Cockburn Town, Grand Turk 00109-9000, Turks and Caicos Islands.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
St. Mary's Anglican Pro-Cathedral Church image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, October 23, 2008
2. St. Mary's Anglican Pro-Cathedral Church
The Marker is visible on the right, mounted along the outside wall. This photo was taken shortly after Grand Turk sustained a direct hit from Hurricane Ike in September, 2008 (thus the broken streetlamp).
are within walking distance of this marker. Victoria Public Library (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Todds (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Timco (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Grant Building (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Crofton Coverley House (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Free Mason's Lodge (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Sunnyside (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); The History of the West (approx. 0.4 kilometers away). Click for a list of all markers in Cockburn Town.
 
More about this marker. Marker is mounted directly in front of the church, to the left of the building's door, along a short wall of white mortar which surrounds the church.
 
Regarding St. Mary’s Anglican Pro-Cathedral Church. The church is white with a bright red roof, shutters, and trim.

Directly in front of the main doorway and inside the walled enclosure is a memorial for World Wars I and II.
 
Additional keywords. Religion
 
Categories. 20th CenturyChurches, Etc.Notable BuildingsPolitical Subdivisions
 
War Memorial at St. Mary's Church image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, October 23, 2008
3. War Memorial at St. Mary's Church
To the glorious dead
1914 - 1919
1939 - 1945


The above message referencing the periods of WWI and WWII is inscribed on marble and stands directly before the front entrance to the church at St. Mary's.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 1,336 times since then and 5 times this year. Last updated on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida.   3. submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement