HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Hamilton in Butler County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument
"Victory, the Jewel of the Soul"
 
Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument Marker (Side A) Photo, Click for full size
By William Fischer, Jr., August 2, 2009
1. Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument Marker (Side A)
 
Inscription.
Side A: Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument
The Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument was planned and promoted by Butler County Civil War veterans and financed by a county levy in 1899. The monument, built of Indiana Limestone, is near the center of the site of Fort Hamilton, built in 1791 and named in honor of Alexander Hamilton, Secretary of the Treasury in President George Washington's cabinet. Featured, are two large, colorful windows that recognize the contributions of Butler County women during the Civil War. Featured speaker at the July 4, 1906, dedication was Governor Andrew L. Harris, a Butler County native and Civil War veteran. His name is one of the more than 4,300 carved into the interior marble walls.

Side B: "Victory, the Jewel of the Soul"
The statue atop the monument is officially entitled "Victory, the Jewel of the Soul," but is better known as "Billy Yank," the name given the common Union soldier during the Civil War (1861-1865). The 17-foot, 3,500-pound bronze figure is the work of Rudolph Thiem, a local artist whose design was selected in national competition. The soldier's informal pose represents his reaction to victory and peace at the end of the Civil War. His right foot is on an unexploded shell, while his right hand clasps his musket. His cap is uplifted in his left
 
"Victory, the Jewel of the Soul" Marker (Side B) Photo, Click for full size
By William Fischer, Jr., August 2, 2009
2. "Victory, the Jewel of the Soul" Marker (Side B)
 
hand. His mouth is open as he shouts "Hurrah!" at the realization that fighting has ended. The statue was placed on the Monument in December 1904.
 
Erected 2006 by Butler County Commissioners and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 25-9.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 39° 24.031′ N, 84° 33.891′ W. Marker is in Hamilton, Ohio, in Butler County. Marker is at the intersection of Monument Avenue and High Street (Ohio Route 129/177), on the right when traveling south on Monument Avenue. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 S. Monument Avenue, Hamilton OH 45013, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Log Building (a few steps from this marker); William Dean Howells (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Hamilton (within shouting distance of this marker); The Old Well (within shouting distance of this marker); Grand Army of the Republic Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); A Pioneer Family (within shouting distance of this marker); Founding of Fort Hamilton (within shouting distance of this marker); French Exploration (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Hamilton.
 
Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument and Marker Photo, Click for full size
By William Fischer, Jr., August 2, 2009
3. Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument and Marker
 

 
Also see . . .  Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument. (Submitted on May 14, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
 
Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument Photo, Click for full size
By William Fischer, Jr., August 2, 2009
4. Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument
 
 
Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument Photo, Click for full size
By William Fischer, Jr., August 2, 2009
5. Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument
From the High Street Bridge over the Great Miami River.
 
 
Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument Photo, Click for full size
By William Fischer, Jr., August 2, 2009
6. Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument
Looking SE across the Great Miami River.
 
 
Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument Photo, Click for full size
By William Fischer, Jr., August 2, 2009
7. Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument
Looking SE across the Great Miami River.
 
 
3-inch Parrott Rifle Photo, Click for full size
By William Fischer, Jr., August 2, 2009
8. 3-inch Parrott Rifle
 
 
"Victory, the Jewel of the Soul" Statue Photo, Click for full size
By William Fischer, Jr., August 2, 2009
9. "Victory, the Jewel of the Soul" Statue
On top of the Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument.
 
 
Muzzle of Rifle Photo, Click for full size
By William Fischer, Jr., August 2, 2009
10. Muzzle of Rifle
The muzzle markings tell some of the cannon's history. This gun was produced in 1864 by West Point Foundry. It weighed 895 pounds when inspected by Richard Mason Hill. The registry number "93" has a space between the numbers not usually seen on cannon marks.
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on May 14, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 971 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on May 14, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 255 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.