Kennesaw in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Route of Polk’s Corps
This was the left wing of Johnston’s army [CS] which had crossed the Etowah River May 20, & remained at Allatoona until the 23d.
Learning that Sherman’s forces [US] had left Cassville & Kingston for Dallas, Johnston moved S. on parallel roads to checkmate the Federal flanking march -- Hood’s & Hardee’s Corps [CS] marched by the New Hope road four miles west.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 033-26.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 0.781′ N, 84° 40.549′ W. Marker is in Kennesaw, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker is on Acworth-Due West Road NW 0 miles north of Old Stilesboro Road NW, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kennesaw GA 30152, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Durham House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Stilesboro-Sandtown Crossroads (approx. one mile away); Peters-Davenport House (approx. 1.6 miles away); Site ~ Mason’s Bridge (approx. 2 miles away); Site of Old Allatoona Church (approx. 2.2 miles away); General Leonidas Polk Memorial (approx. 2.4 miles away); Pine Mountain (approx. 2.4 miles away); Lt. General Leonidas Polk Killed at Pine Mountain (approx. 2.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Kennesaw.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 794 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.