Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Alamo Low Barracks and Main Gateway

 
 
Alamo Low Barracks and Main Gateway Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 29, 2010
1. Alamo Low Barracks and Main Gateway Marker
Inscription.
Mission San Antonio de Valero, established nearby in 1718, was relocated here in 1724. By 1762, the mission plaza was enclosed by thick stone and adobe walls. The 11x14-foot main gateway was located at this site along the south wall. In 1803 Spanish cavalry from San Carlos de Parras del Alamo, Mexico, occupied the secularized mission and built one-story (low) barracks inside the south wall on each side of the main gateway. The Alamo, as the complex came to be known, was occupied in 1835 by Mexican soldiers led by Gen. Cos. They fortified the main gateway with artillery pieces and a defensive lunette, a semi-circular enclosure with deep trenches.

In December 1835, Texas patriots captured the Alamo, but by Feb. 23, 1836, were under siege by an armed force led by Gen. Santa Anna. Couriers departed the Alamo through the main gateway during the seige. On March 6, Mexican troops breached the main gateway and re-took the Alamo. After the assault, some Mexican military observers and local residents stated that Col. James Bowie and others died in the low barracks.

The low barracks and main gateway were leveled in 1871, melding Valero Plaza on the south with the Alamo's plaza to create an open space.
 
Erected 1996 by Texas Historical Commission.
 
Location.
Alamo Low Barracks and Main Gateway Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 29, 2010
2. Alamo Low Barracks and Main Gateway Marker
Looking NE toward the Alamo chapel.
29° 25.532′ N, 98° 29.208′ W. Marker is in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. Marker is on Alamo Plaza, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is about 300 feet WSW of the Alamo chapel. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 Alamo Plaza, San Antonio TX 78205, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Alamo / El Alamo (within shouting distance of this marker); Founding of the Mission and Origin of Name (within shouting distance of this marker); Letter From The Alamo (within shouting distance of this marker); Adina de Zavala (within shouting distance of this marker); The Birthplace of Freemasonry in West Texas (within shouting distance of this marker); Masonic Heroes of the Alamo (within shouting distance of this marker); The Alamo in 1836 (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Alamo in 1836 (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in San Antonio.
 
Also see . . .
1. History of the Alamo. (Submitted on May 15, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. The Alamo. (Submitted on May 15, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Forts, CastlesPatriots & PatriotismSettlements & SettlersWar, Texas Independence
 
Alamo Chapel image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 29, 2010
3. Alamo Chapel
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,256 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement