San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Alamo in 1836
The church of former Mission San Antonio de Valero had been converted into a powder magazine and artillery platform by the Mexican Army in the autumn of 1835 during the Siege of Béxar. Following the capture of the town in early December 1835, Texan forces improved the fortifications. Once the Siege of the Alamo began on February 23, 1836, Texans continuously manned artillery pieces mounted along the rear wall of the church. The structures shown in the illustration are (left to right) the Low Barracks, the Palisade Wall, the back of the church, the remains of mission quarters, and the Long Barrack.
February 2, 1836
To Governor Henry Smith
It does...seem certain that an attack is shortly to be made on this place & I think it is the general opinion that the enemy will come by land. The Citizens of Bejar have behaved well. Col. Neill & Myself have come to the solemn resolution that we will rather die in these ditches than give it up to the enemy. These citizens deserve our protection and the public safety demands our lives rather than to evacuate this post to the enemy....
Col. James Bowie
Erected by The Daughters of the Republic of Texas and The Summerlee Foundation.
Location. 29° 25.527′ N, Click for map. Marker is just inside the Bonham Street entrance (Gate 4) of the Alamo Mission complex, near the Crockett Hotel. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 Alamo Plaza, San Antonio TX 78205, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Heroes of the Alamo (within shouting distance of this marker); This Noble Cottonwood (within shouting distance of this marker); Soldiers of the War of 1812 Who Fought for Texas (within shouting distance of this marker); Acequia (Irrigation Ditch) (within shouting distance of this marker); The Mission Period (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Japanese Monument to The Heroes of the Alamo (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named The Alamo in 1836 (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named The Alamo in 1836 (about 300 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in San Antonio.
Also see . . .
1. The Battle of the Alamo. (Submitted on May 16, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. The Alamo. (Submitted on May 16, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers • War, Texas Independence •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,274 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.