HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Rock Hall in Kent County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Wickliffe
 
Wickliffe Marker Photo, Click for full size
By William Pfingsten, October 18, 2007
1. Wickliffe Marker
 
Inscription. Major Joseph Wickes, who settled on Eastern Neck Island c. 1658, was Chief Justice of Kent County. Before 1674 the Court met at Wickliffe, his home here (no longer standing). By 1680 he had acquired 864 acres, the southern half of the island, which he held until his death in 1692. His great-grandson Captain Lambert Wickes, who spent his early years here, served with distinction in the Continental Navy, was lost at sea with his Sloop-of-War Reprisal October 1, 1777.
 
Erected by Captain Lambert Wickes Foundation & Maryland Historical Society.
 
Location. 39° 1.162′ N, 76° 13.386′ W. Marker is in Rock Hall, Maryland, in Kent County. Marker is on Eastern Neck Road, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at the end of the road in Eastern Neck National Wildlife Sanctuary. Marker is in this post office area: Rock Hall MD 21661, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Birds of Prey-Hunters in the Sky (approx. 1.8 miles away); Long Distance Travelers (approx. 1.8 miles away); Maryland's Eastern Shore (approx. 3.4 miles away); Bowlingly (approx. 4 miles away); a different marker also named Bowlingly (approx. 4 miles away); Colonial Courthouse (approx. 4 miles away); Queenstown (approx. 4 miles away); Surprise at Queenstown (approx. 4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Rock Hall.
 
Captain Lambert Wickes Monument Photo, Click for full size
By William Pfingsten, October 18, 2007
2. Captain Lambert Wickes Monument
 

 
Regarding Wickliffe. According to the Maryland Historical Trust Historic Sites Survey K-274, the house was demolished in 1935 to make space for a caretaker's residence for J. Edward Johnston.
 
Marker and Monument Photo, Click for full size
By William Pfingsten, October 18, 2007
3. Marker and Monument
 
 
Wickliffe Photo, Click for full size
By Horace Loller, 1931
4. Wickliffe
From the collection of the Maryland Historical Trust.
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on October 20, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,233 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 20, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.   4. submitted on March 4, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 256 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.