Carlisle in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Cumberland County Historical Society & Hamilton Library Association
Walking Tour Stop 19
The Hamilton Library Association was charterd in 1874, and this two-story brick building was erected in 1881 to house its collection. The library was made possible by a bequest of $2,000 from James Hamilton (1793-1873), a prominent Carlisle lawyer and scholar, who was active in local educational and religious matters. His home stood on the north side of West High Street near the entrance gate of the Society's parking lot. In Hamilton's will he left money and a 60' x 60' lot on the corner of Pitt Street and Dickinson Alley for the building of a library. After the Bosler Library opened in 1900 just a block away, the Hamilton Library modified its focus to materials related to local history and the development of a research library. In 1901 a permanent museum of historical artifacts was added, which has grown to become the Society's extensive museum. In 1926 the library was renamed the Cumberland County Historical Society and Hamilton Library Association.
After numerous additions and continuous growth, the current Pitt Street building now houses a research library, state-of-the-art museum, photo archives, educational center, and a large meeting room. The Society also maintains the Two Mile House, a historic site on the Walnut Bottom Road. One of the oldest historical societies in Pennsylvania, the purpose of the Cumberland County
Erected by Historic Carlisle, Inc.
Location. 40° 12.107′ N, 77° 11.48′ W. Marker is in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, in Cumberland County. Marker is at the intersection of Pitt Street and High Street (U.S. 11), on the right when traveling north on Pitt Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 21 N. Pitt Street, Carlisle PA 17013, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Carlisle's 250th Anniversary Mural (a few steps from this marker); Centenary Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The High Street Train Stations (within shouting distance of this marker); Prelude to Gettysburg (within shouting distance of this marker); James Wilson (within shouting distance of this marker); The Carlisle Theatre (within shouting distance of this marker); Carlisle Fort (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas Butler (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Carlisle.
Also see . . .
1. Cumberland County Historical Society. (Submitted on May 18, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
2. Historic Carlisle Marker Map (Submitted on May 18, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Education • Man-Made Features • Notable Persons • Notable Places •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 613 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. 2. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 3, 4. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.