Boydton in Mecklenburg County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Boydton Academic and Bible Institute
—Mecklenburg County —
Cullis sent Mr. and Mrs. Sharpe to Boydton to operate the school. Mr. Sharpe, having poor health, died not long after their arrival, and Mrs. Helen Bradford Sharpe, his wife, took over and became the guiding hand of the Institute for more than 30 years.
The school consisted a large four-story brick building, a two-story house and 425 acres of land. A boarding department was added and courses offered on the secondary level.
In 1910 the school was purchased by the Christian Alliance of New York City. It was operated by the Alliance until 1916 when the school was forced to close due to lack of support. Shortly afterward, the property was transferred to an alumni board of trustees, who reopened it using tuition fees and private contributions. The new school had four years of high school courses added to the curriculum, and in 1927 the first high school class graduated. After 1922 high school subjects were dropped. The school continued to operate as an elementary school until
Erected by Civil Rights in Education Heritage Trail®. (Marker Number 37.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Civil Rights in Education Heritage Trail marker series.
Location. 36° 39.773′ N, 78° 24.359′ W. Marker is in Boydton, Virginia, in Mecklenburg County. Marker is on Highway Fifty Eight (U.S. 58) 0.1 miles east of Jefferson Street, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Boydton VA 23917, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Taylor's Ferry (a few steps from this marker); Old Randolph-Macon College (a few steps from this marker); A Revolutionary Soldier (within shouting distance of this marker); Boydton and Petersburg Plank Road (within shouting distance of this marker); Mecklenburg County Confederate Monument (approx. one mile away); Boydton (approx. one mile away); Boyd Tavern (approx. one mile away); Boydton Presbyterian Church (approx. 1.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Boydton.
More about this marker.
"(Top Left) The Steward's Hall was not only the dining hall, it was the center of social affairs during Commencements."
"(Bottom Left) The main building."
"(Below) The graduating class of 1906."
On the right is a photo with the caption, "(Right) The Boydton Academic and Bible Institute campus."
Also see . . .
1. Randolph-Macon College: The Boydton Years, 1832-1868. Boydton Campus Preservation Project (Submitted on May 19, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
2. Randolph Macon College Boydton, Virginia. (Submitted on May 19, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
3. Civil Rights in Education Heritage Trail. Virginia's Retreat (Submitted on May 20, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • African Americans • Churches, Etc. • Education • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,144 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.