Near Proctor in St. Louis County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Minnesota’s Seaport / Welcome to Minnesota
The mouth of the St. Louis River forms a fine natural harbor with some 49 miles of serviceable frontage protected by one of the longest freshwater bay mouth bars in the world. The Duluth ship canal, originally a hand-dug cut through the bar, opened in 1870. Superior, Wisconsin, is located directly opposite the only natural harbor entrance.
For much of the twentieth century this harbor was second in total tonnage only to New York among U.S. ports, even though it is open to shipping only about eight months each year. Since the completion of the St. Lawrence Seaway
Welcome to Minnesota. Known to her citizens as the North Star State or the Gopher State, Minnesota has never claimed to be the Land of the Giants. But two famous American giants do hail from Minnesota. The giant lumberjack Paul Bunyan cut the pine forest of the north that helped build America’s towns and cities, and the Jolly Green Giant towers over the south’s lush corn, vegetable, and soybean fields, a part of the midwest’s fertile farm belt.
Like its neighbors, the thirty-second state grew as a collection of small farm communities, many settled by immigrants from Scandinavia and Germany. Two of the nation’s favorite fictional small towns—Sinclair Lewis’s Gopher Prairie and Garrison Keillor’s Lake Wobegon—reflect that heritage. But the vast forests, the huge open pit iron ore mines, and the busy shipping lanes of Lake Superior attracted different settlers with different skills and made Minnesota a state of surprising diversity.
Best known for its more than 15,000 lakes, Minnesota has some 65 towns with the word “lake” in their names, not counting those whose names mean “lake” or “water" in the Chippewa or Dakota Indian languages. There are
Minnesotans are proud of their state’s natural beauty and are leaders in resource conservation and concern for the quality of life.
Erected 1987 by the Minnesota Historical Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Minnesota Historical Society marker series.
Location. 46° 43.765′ N, 92° 12.346′ W. Marker is near Proctor, Minnesota, in St. Louis County. Marker can be reached from Interstate 35 at milepost 249, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at Thompson Hill Travel Information Center/Rest Area (about 7 miles southwest of downtown Duluth). Exit at South Boundary Avenue (County Road 14), to Westgate Boulevard, then to Thompson Hill Visitors Center Parkway. The rest area
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Geology of Duluth Harbor (within shouting distance of this marker); The Gate (within shouting distance of this marker); Gonyea, Verville and National Guardsmen Memorial (approx. 1.2 miles away); Engine 225 (approx. 1.3 miles away); Oneota (approx. 3.4 miles away); Rice's Point (approx. 5 miles away); Summer White House - 1928 (approx. 5 miles away in Wisconsin); Enger Observation Tower (approx. 5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Proctor.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 2,048 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. 2. submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. 3. submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. 4. submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.