Chase City in Mecklenburg County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Chase City, Virginia
—Mecklenburg County —
The church expanded the school in 1893, when the school started boarding students. Students from as far away as Ohio and New York attended. However, most of the boarding students came from the Norfolk, Virginia Beach and Hampton Roads area of the state. Enrollment peaked in the 1951-1952 school year, with 650 students, a staff of 23 teachers and a graduation class of 140. Thyne Institute enriched the lives of over 5,000 students
The school was eventually turned over to the Mecklenburg County School Board. In the 1970s the campus buildings were replaced by a new elementary school.
The accomplishments of Thyne Institute were not obtained without sacrifice and dedication to purpose. The school suffered many setbacks, including fires, financial difficulties and hostilities within the community among the white and black population. The Institute soared as an educational giant in an age and time when society did not recognize education as essential to quality of life, but rather as a deterrent to hard work.
Erected by Civil Rights in Education Heritage Trail®. (Marker Number 36.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Civil Rights in Education Heritage Trail marker series.
Location. 36° 49.002′ N, 78° 28.345′ W. Marker is in Chase City, Virginia, in Mecklenburg County. Marker is at the intersection of Highway Forty Seven (Virginia Route 47) and Village Road (Virginia Route 874), on the left when traveling west on Highway Forty Seven. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 30935 Highway 49, Chase City VA 23924, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Thyne Institute (approx. 0.2 miles away); Christiansville (approx. 1.3 miles away); Sgt. Earle D. Gregory (approx. 1.4 miles away); Lunenburg County / Mecklenburg County (approx. 4.1 miles away); Charlotte County / Mecklenburg County (approx. 5.3 miles away); Paul Carrington (approx. 7.1 miles away); Roanoke Plantation (approx. 7.1 miles away); Staunton Bridge Action (approx. 7.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Chase City.
More about this marker. On the left are three photos with the captions:
"(Above) Dr. Frank W. Wilson served as Principal of the Thyne Institute from 1906-1942."
"(Center Left) Vincent Hall served as the girl’s dormitory."
"(Bottom Left) Hunter Hall served as the boy’s dormitory."
On the center is a "(Above Center) Thyne Institute diploma issued in 1900 to the wife of George Lancaster, Sr."
On the right is a photo of "(Above) Wilson Hall, Thyne’s Administration and Classroom Building named for Dr. Frank W. Wilson, principal for 36 years."
Photo of Dr. Wilson and dormitory photos courtesy of Virginia State University Archives. Wilson Hall photo courtesy of Mrs. Hortense W. Bouldin.
Also see . . .
1. Civil Rights in Education Heritage Trail. Virginia's Retreat (Submitted on May 21, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
2. The Thyne Institute Memorial, Inc. The Virginia African American Heritage Program (Submitted on May 21, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • African Americans • Charity & Public Work • Education •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,257 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.