Charlotte Court House in Charlotte County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Charlotte County Library
The Charlotte County Library was originally built in 1830 as the Hager-Marshall House. The Bruces bought the house and had it fitted as a library, making it the only Bruce library to use an existing building. The others are built on similar plans drawn up by an architect for the Bruces. They were neat Colonial-style buildings with a large reading room across the front and an office for the librarian and a reading room for African Americans behind. There were also restrooms and storage areas.
The Charlotte County Library is the first library in Virginia funded by the Bruce library fund. It had separate opening ceremonies one day apart for white and black patrons. Miss Mary Barksdale was the first librarian. Today, many of the Bruce libraries have become too small for the needs of the counties and have been converted to county offices or museums.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Civil Rights in Education Heritage Trail marker series.
Location. 37° 3.358′ N, 78° 38.282′ W. Marker is in Charlotte Court House, Virginia, in Charlotte County. Marker is at the intersection of Legrande Avenue (Virginia Route 47) and David Bruce Avenue (Virginia Route 40) on Legrande Avenue. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 112-116 LeGrande Ave, Charlotte Court House VA 23923, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Henry and Randolph's Debate (within shouting distance of this marker); Charlotte County Confederate Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Charlotte Court House Historic District (within shouting distance of this marker); Charlotte Court House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Campaign of 1781 (approx. half a mile away); Edgehill (approx. 2.8 miles away); Greenfield (approx. 2.8 miles away); Cub Creek Church (approx. 3.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Charlotte Court House.
More about this marker. On the left are three photos with the captions:
"(Top Left) The Charlotte County Public Library
"(Center Left) The interior of the bookmobile."
"(Bottom Left) The Charlotte County Public Library, founded in 1937, was one of many county libraries founded by Ambassador and Mrs. David K.E. Bruce."
On the center is photo with the caption, "(Center Panel) Bookmark given to library patrons, c.1938."
On the right is a photo with the caption, "(Above) Mary Barksdale was the Charlotte County Public Library’s first librarian."
Bookmobile interior photo courtesy of Southside Regional Library, Boydton, VA.
Also see . . .
1. Civil Rights in Education Heritage Trail. Virginia's Retreat (Submitted on May 22, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
2. Charlotte County Library. (Submitted on May 22, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • 20th Century • African Americans • Education •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 967 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.