Near Blackstone in Nottoway County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Nottoway County / Dinwiddie County
Area 310 square miles
Formed in 1788 from Amelia, and named for an Indian tribe. Tarleton passed through this county in 1781. Here lived William Hodges Mann, Governor of Virginia 1910-14.
Area 521 square miles
Formed in 1752 from Prince George, and named for Robert Dinwiddie, Governor of Virginia 1751-56. General Winfield Scott was born in this county, and in it took place the battle of Five Forks, 1865.
Erected 1931 by Conservation & Development Commission. (Marker Number Z 238.)
Location. 37° 4.385′ N, 77° 53.775′ W. Marker is near Blackstone, Virginia, in Nottoway County. Marker is at the intersection of Darvills Road (Virginia Route 40) and Beaver Trail, on the right when traveling east on Darvills Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Blackstone VA 23824, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Butterwood Chapel (approx. 2 miles away); Darvills School (approx. 3.8 miles away); Creation of Camp Pickett (approx. 4.1 miles away); a different marker also Nottoway County / Dinwiddie County (approx. 4.1 miles away); Fort Pickett (approx. 4.3 miles away); Nottoway Training School (approx. 5.3 miles away); Black’s and White’s Station (approx. 5.6 miles away); Blackstone (approx. 5.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Blackstone.
Also see . . .
1. Nottoway County, Virginia. (Submitted on May 23, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
2. Dinwiddie County, Virginia. (Submitted on May 23, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Native Americans • Notable Persons • Political Subdivisions • War, US Civil • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 575 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.