Champaign in Champaign County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
—Looking for Lincoln —
Until the Illinois Central Railroad rolled into town, geese flocked to a pond in this vicinity. The IC cleared the pond and donated the land to the Congregationalist (today the Community United Church of Christ). Their sanctuary, completed near the corner of University and First Street in 1856 was fondly known as the Goose Pond Church for its first inhabitants. In this yet unfinished church, Abraham Lincoln addressed a crowd in June 1856 (and possibly later that same year). Lincoln appealed to the congregants’ strong antislavery and abolitionist views to rally votes for Fremont, the new Republican Party’s presidential candidate. This photograph shows the church after a tornado in the early twentieth century.
Abraham Lincoln during his campaign against “The Little Giant” in 1858 was met at the Doane house by an enthusiastic crowd. Between debates, Lincoln and Douglas followed each other from town to town campaigning. On September 23rd Douglas spoke, and the following day Lincoln spoke, at the fairgrounds in Urbana. Judge Cunningham gives this account of the eager Lincoln supporters who assembled on this corner: “At an early hour people began to flock into town. . . . At ten o’clock a procession, led by the Urbana Brass Band, the German band and
Not only did Lincoln make speeches in West Urbana (later Champaign), he also formed friendships here. He stayed with the Baddeley’s, prominent storekeepers, who lived at the corner of Randolph and Hill. He dined with Mark Carley, entrepreneur and old-line Whig, who owned the first grain elevator in the new Depot town. Henry Clay Whitney, later a biographer of Lincoln, ran his legal practice out of his father’s home on the west side of the tracks. Lincoln’s friend from rural Mahomet, B. G. Harris, was a partner in the Cattle Bank (on the northeast corner of First Street and University). As Lincoln was escorted to the fairgrounds, he would have passed the newly opened bank.
Erected 2009 by City of Champaign
Marker series. This marker is included in the Looking for Lincoln marker series.
Location. 40° 7.033′ N, 88° 14.337′ W. Marker is in Champaign, Illinois, in Champaign County. Marker is at the intersection of 1st Street and East Park Street, on the left when traveling north on 1st Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Champaign IL 61820, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The First Congregational Church (here, next to this marker); Lincoln & Photography (approx. 1.6 miles away); Urbana's Lincoln (approx. 1.7 miles away); Abraham Lincoln - Eighth Judicial District (approx. 1.8 miles away); Lincoln's Mahomet / Mahomet's Lincoln (approx. 9.1 miles away); Lincoln in Tolono (approx. 9.3 miles away); Lincoln 1861 Inaugural Train Stop (approx. 9.3 miles away); Lincoln at Kelley's Tavern (approx. 10.2 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Travel with Lincoln ::. Climb into Lincoln’s buggy and take a trip with Lincoln and his fellow lawyers on the job traveling Illinois as Circuit Lawyers. See all the Lincoln Circuit Markers (and a surprise or two), in the order of his travels while a member of the Circuit of the Eighth Judicial District (of (Submitted on May 24, 2010, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
2. Looking for Lincoln Video - on P. B. S. Follow Henry Louis Gates, Jr. "...from Illinois, to Gettysburg, to Washington, D. C., and face to face with people who live with Lincoln every day..." (Submitted on May 24, 2010, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
3. Looking for Lincoln::. Many resources for the Tracking of Lincoln through History and Illinois. Aimed at all ages. (Submitted on May 24, 2010, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
Categories. • Notable Places • Politics •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,046 times since then and 108 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.