Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bowie in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Sacred Heart Chapel - White Marsh

(Formerly St. Francis Borgia)

 
 
Sacred Heart Chapel - White Marsh Marker image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, November 26, 2004
1. Sacred Heart Chapel - White Marsh Marker
Inscription. Sacred Heart Chapel was built about 1741 by Jesuit Priests on the property known as White Marsh. The priests turned their 2,000 acre bequest into a thriving plantation. During the 1780's the American clergy met several times at White Marsh, and here on May 18th, 1789, they nominated John Carroll to be the first American Bishop. In the 1800's Jesuit novices studied at White Marsh, including Pierre de Smet, misisonary to the Indians. On Pentacost, 1853, fire destroyed everything on the hill except the walls of the Chapel. The present reconstruction dates from 1956 and has been renovated many times. It is the oldest Catholic church in Prince George's County.
 
Erected 1978 by Prince George's County Historical Society.
 
Location. 38° 59.085′ N, 76° 43.169′ W. Marker is in Bowie, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is on Annapolis Road (Maryland Route 450) 0.6 miles west of Crain Highway (Maryland Route 3), on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bowie MD 20715, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. William Levitt and Sons, Belair-at-Bowie (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Belair Stud Farm
Sacred Heart Chapel image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, November 26, 2004
2. Sacred Heart Chapel
(approx. 1.8 miles away); Belair Stable (approx. 1.8 miles away); Melford and Cemetery (approx. 1.9 miles away); Belair (approx. 1.9 miles away); Belair on the Home Front (approx. 1.9 miles away); Belair Mansion (approx. 2.2 miles away); Bowie State University (approx. 3.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Bowie.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
 
Additional keywords. Pierre J. De Smet
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Colonial EraEducation
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,984 times since then and 43 times this year. Last updated on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement