Northwest in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Saint Sophia Greek Orthodox Cathedral Cornerstone
Dwight D. Eisenhower
President of the United States
His Eminence Michael
Archbishop of North and South America
on the thirtieth day of September
in the year of our beloved Lord
the nineteen hundred and fifty-sixth
Erected 1956 by Saint Sophia Greek Orthodox Cathedral.
Location. 38° 55.63′ N, 77° 4.243′ W. Marker is in Northwest, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is on 36th Street, NW north of Massachusetts Avenue, NW, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. The cornerstone marker is at the cathedral's main (36th Street) entrance on the lower south side of the staircase - across the street from the Bishop Laloussis Park between Garfield Street and Massachusetts Avenue, NW. Marker is at or near this postal address: 36th Street, NW, Washington DC 20007, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bishop Aimilianos Laloussis (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Vladimir Millennial Bell Tower (approx. 0.2 miles away); Herb Cottage (approx. 0.2 miles away); The National War Memorial Shrine of the Russian Orthodox Church of America Russian Orthodox Church of St. Nicholas (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Road to Fort Duquesne (approx. 0.2 miles away); All Hallows Guild (approx. ¼ mile away); Why Are These Stones Here? (approx. ¼ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Northwest.
Also see . . . Saint Sophia Cathedral, Washington DC. ...This parish was established in 1904 by newly arrived Greek immigrants. After worshipping in rented or makeshift quarters, the community built its own church at 8th and L Sts., N.W., which was completed and dedicated in 1924, remaining there until moving to this site, which was purchased in 1943. Ground breaking and foundation stone laying occurred on September 25, 1951. The building, designed by architect Archie Protopapas of New York City was ready for occupancy on February 19, 1955. The first service was celebrated on February 20, 1955. The cornerstone was laid by President Dwight D. Eisenhower with His Eminence Michael, Archbishop of North and South America, officiating on September 30. 1956. Saint Sophia was elevated to the status of a cathedral on September 24, 1962.... (Submitted on May 29, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. Archie Protopapas, architect.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Notable Buildings • Notable Events • Politics •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,198 times since then and 127 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on September 10, 2016.