Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Omaha in Douglas County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Baum Iron Company Building 1880

The Old Market Historic Walking Tour

 
 
Baum Iron Company Building 1880 Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., April 28, 2010
1. Baum Iron Company Building 1880 Marker
Inscription.
This building has carried the Baum Iron name since the company purchased and occupied the property in 1905. Baum Iron Company was established in 1857 and was originally across the street. At one time this firm was the largest wholesaler of iron products in the Midwest, dealing in iron, steel, and heavy hardware, and doing business in Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, Utah, and Wyoming. The cast iron storefront for the structure in the Italianate style was made in St. Louis and assembled on site in Omaha in 1880. The original owner was Steele, Johnson and Co., wholesale grocers. Originally two stories, the third and fourth floors were added in 1891, after which the wholesale hardward and cutlery firm of Lee-Clarke-Andreesen used the building. Sloan Allen and son David Allen, owners of Baum Iron, were a familiar sight in downtown Omaha from the 1940's through the 1980's as they walked to work from their home at 37th and Dewey Streets. In 2000 the company became Baum Hydraulics Corporation, selling nationwide.
 
Erected by The Old Market.
 
Location. 41° 15.383′ N, 95° 55.982′ W. Marker is in Omaha, Nebraska, in Douglas County. Marker is at the intersection of Harney Street and 13th Street, on the right when traveling
Baum Iron Company Building and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., April 28, 2010
2. Baum Iron Company Building and Marker
Marker near bottom left of "S" in "Steel."
east on Harney Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1221 Harney Street, Omaha NE 68102, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. J.P. Cooke Building 1885-1889 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Morse Coe Building (about 600 feet away); Millard Block 1880-1881 (about 600 feet away); Woodmen of the World (about 700 feet away); Skinner Macaroni Building 1914-1915 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Omaha Firehouse 1903-1904 (approx. 0.2 miles away); William Henry Jackson (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Omaha Bolt, Nut and Screw Building (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Omaha.
 
Also see . . .
1. Baum Hydraulics Corporation. (Submitted on June 1, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Historic Businesses of Omaha. (Submitted on June 1, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Omaha Old Market. (Submitted on June 1, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
4. Old Market Historic District National Register Nomination. (Submitted on March 6, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceMan-Made FeaturesNotable Buildings
 
Baum Iron Company Building image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., April 28, 2010
3. Baum Iron Company Building
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,644 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement