Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Delafield in Waukesha County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Northwestern Military and Naval Academy

 
 
Northwestern Military and Naval Academy Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul F, September 20, 2009
1. Northwestern Military and Naval Academy Marker
Inscription. Educational reformer Harlan Page Davidson founded Northwestern Military Academy in Highland Park, Illinois in 1888. For years many of the cadets came from northern Illinois, but enrollment broadened when the academy moved to the shores of Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, in 1915.
The Davidson family (Harlan Page and especially his son Royal Page) continued to operate the school until 1944, when the main line of the family died out. During this period the academy gained national fame with the Bycicle Corps (traveling to Washington DC), and even more with its cadet-produced armored cars.
The Lake Geneva campus commanded a magnificent view of the lake. For many years sailing and boating were important parts of the cadet life, signified by the addition of “Naval” to the academyís original “Military” title.
In 1944, the Academyís operation passed to the Episcopal Church. Financial constraints led to the sale of surplus academy property in the early 1970s. In 1995, the school merged with St. Johnís Military Academy in Delafield, Wisconsin, to become St. Johnís Northwestern Military Academy.
 
Erected 2005 by Wisconsin Historical Society. (Marker Number 497.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society marker
Northwestern Military and Naval Academy Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul F, September 20, 2009
2. Northwestern Military and Naval Academy Marker
Companion sign with St. John's Military Academy
series.
 
Location. 43° 3.902′ N, 88° 24.332′ W. Marker is in Delafield, Wisconsin, in Waukesha County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of St. John's Road and Farrand Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1101 North Genesee St, Delafield WI 53018, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. John's Military Academy (here, next to this marker); Delafield Fish Hatchery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hawks Inn (approx. 0.4 miles away); Cushing Memorial Park (approx. half a mile away); Bishop Jackson Kemper Home Built 1849 (approx. 0.8 miles away); Nashotah Mission (approx. 1.6 miles away); Lapham Peak (approx. 2.3 miles away); a different marker also named Lapham Peak (approx. 2.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Delafield.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
 
Categories. EducationMilitary
 
Northwestern Military and Naval Academy Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul F, September 20, 2009
3. Northwestern Military and Naval Academy Marker
Companion sign with St. John's Military Academy and campus building.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,230 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement