Johnson City in Blanco County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Blanco County Courthouse
Designed by San Antonio architect Henry T. Phelps, the 1916 Blanco County Courthouse was the first permanent courthouse built after the seat of government moved from Blanco to Johnson City in 1890. Serving as contractor for the project was stonemason James Waterston, who had come from Scotland to Texas in 1883 to aid in the construction of the state capitol. The Classic Revival limestone structure features doric columns and a domed cupola.
Erected 1983 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 427.)
Location. 30° 16.685′ N, 98° 24.685′ W. Marker is in Johnson City, Texas, in Blanco County. Marker is on Pecan Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at the south entrance to the county courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 E. Pecan Avenue, Johnson City TX 78636, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Blanco County (a few steps from this marker); Blanco County Veterans Memorial Flagpole (within shouting distance of this marker); 1894 Blanco County Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); James Polk Johnson Building (within First Baptist Church (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); L. B. J. Boyhood Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Christian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pedernales Electric Cooperative, Inc. (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Johnson City.
Also see . . .
1. Blanco County. (Submitted on June 3, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
2. Henry T. Phelps. (Submitted on June 3, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Government • Man-Made Features • Notable Buildings • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 855 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. 4. submitted on , by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.