New Market in Madison County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Town of New Market
George Smith, major landowner of town site, built first log house and established mercantile business, 1814. John Miller excavated millrace, erected gristmill and sawmill, 1819. William Hayter, first Postmaster, 1827-1839.
Town became a thriving commercial center for a prosperous agricultural community, once known as "The Watercress Capital of the World;" greatly respected for development of religious and educational endeavors, and furnishing political leadership in local and state government.
Erected 1989 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 34° 54.577′ N, 86° 25.66′ W. Marker is in New Market, Alabama, in Madison County. Marker is on Winchester Road near New Market Road, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5488 Winchester Road, New Market AL 35761, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. New Market Presbyterian Church (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Buckhorn Tavern (approx. 3.4 miles away); Old Limestone Road Skirmish Site of Quick Airplane (approx. 4.4 miles away); Site of Bell Factory (approx. 6.4 miles away); Tennessee / Alabama (approx. 9.9 miles away); Shiloh United Methodist Church (approx. 10 miles away); Flint River Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 10.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in New Market.
Categories. • Agriculture • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 899 times since then and 107 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. 3. submitted on , by Tom Gillard of Tullahoma, Tennessee. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.