Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tampa in Hillsborough County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Columbia Restaurant

Founded 1905

 
 
Columbia Restaurant Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, June 2008
1. Columbia Restaurant Marker
Inscription. The Columbia is the oldest and largest Spanish restaurant in the United States. It was opened as a cafe for cigarmakers by Casimiro Hernandez, Sr. When he died in 1930 his son Casimiro Hernandez, Jr. then brought it to its present glory.

The Columbia has helped popularize Spain's exotic cuisine in America, and through the years has played host to celebrities and world figures. The restaurant has always been under the management of the founding family.
 
Erected 1982 by the Tampa Historical Society.
 
Location. 27° 57.615′ N, 82° 26.093′ W. Marker is in Tampa, Florida, in Hillsborough County. Marker is on East 7th Avenue near North 22nd Street, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Located in Ybor City Historic District of Tampa. Marker is in this post office area: Tampa FL 33605, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Rough Riders Rode By Here (a few steps from this marker); The Krewe of the Knights of Sant' Yago (within shouting distance of this marker); The Coming of the Italians (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); La Joven Francesa Bakery
Columbia Restaurant marker, on the far left image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
2. Columbia Restaurant marker, on the far left
(approx. mile away); Mayor Nick C. Nuccio (approx. mile away); Anthony P. "Tony" Pizzo (approx. mile away); Ybor Centennial Park (approx. mile away); Historic Fire Station No. 4 (approx. mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Tampa.
 
Categories. Hispanic AmericansIndustry & CommerceNotable BuildingsNotable Places
 
Columbia Restaurant second entrance at East 21st Street image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
3. Columbia Restaurant second entrance at East 21st Street
Rotary Club Plaque image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, July 13, 2010
4. Rotary Club Plaque
The plaque is mounted on the front of the building to the left of the restaurant's main entrance.

The Rotary Club of Ybor City
was organized on October 20, 1948
at the Columbia Restaurant
Meetings Each Wednesday at 12:15 noon.
Lions Club Plaque image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, July 13, 2010
5. Lions Club Plaque
The plaque is mounted on the front of the building to the right of the restaurant's main entrance.

The Lions Club of Ybor City
was organized on April 19, 1951
at the Columbia Restaurant
Meetings Each Thursday at 12:15 noon.
Columbia Restaurant Painted Tilework Sign image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, July 13, 2010
6. Columbia Restaurant Painted Tilework Sign
This appears along the front of the restaurant. Much of the building is decorated with extensive and elaborate painted tilework.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,443 times since then and 32 times this year. Last updated on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement