Riverton in Madison County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Site of Bell Factory
Mile and one-half southeast on Flint River
Earliest important textile mill in Alabama
Patton Donegan Company in 1832
3,000 spindles and 100 looms
operated by skilled slave labor.
In production as late as 1885.
Name derived from "bell" used to signal workers
Erected 1957 by Judge David Campbell Chapter - Daughters of American Colonists.
Location. 34° 49.55′ N, 86° 28.45′ W. Marker is in Riverton, Alabama, in Madison County. Marker is at the intersection of Winchester Road and Bell Factory Road, on the right when traveling south on Winchester Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Huntsville AL 35811, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Buckhorn Tavern (approx. 3 miles away); Shiloh United Methodist Church (approx. 3.9 miles away); Flint River Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 4.3 miles away); a different marker also named Flint River Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 4.3 miles away); Harris Hill Cemetery (approx. 5.2 Monte Sano Railway (approx. 6.1 miles away); William Hooper Councill (approx. 6.2 miles away); Councill Training School (approx. 6.3 miles away).
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Places •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,285 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.